X800 XL and Gateway 21" monitor with DVI... Doesn't work

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Dewey, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Dewey

    Dewey Guest

    I have a new Gateway FPD2185W 12" monitor and a new-ish Radeon X800XL video
    card. All the latest drivers...etc.

    The monitor will not work when using DVI. I tried the monitor on my cable
    box (DVI out) and it worked fine. I've looked around and seen that I'm not
    the only fella with this problem. Gateway has agreed to send me a new
    monitor, however, I'm worried that it might be my video card. I don't really
    feel like dishing out another $300-400 bucks for a new card (nVidia w/ DVI
    and this monitor...seems to work...or so I've read).

    Is ATI honorable when it comes to replacing defective cards...etc? The card
    was bought in summer '05.

    On my PC, the monitor works fine when hooked up via the VGA to the X800,
    however I bought it for it's DVI capabilities.

    I'm at wits end...

    Any help is appreciated.

    Dewey

    Dewey, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Dewey

    ==--== Guest

    Hey Dewey

    I've got the exact config that you do and it works great for me. I've got
    the FPD2185 on the primary DVI out and I have a 19" SM955df -thru the DVI
    VGA converter on the secondary. Both work perfectly at their respective res
    and refresh. I wish I had some great answer to give you, but I don't
    think I do.

    A couple questions though.....
    what specificaly happens with the display?
    Can you run the EzTune software? or do you have no display at all?
    Do you have, or can you borrow another DVI cable to try - could be defective
    cable
    You can also completely disconnect the monitor from the PC and the power for
    a while and it will reset to factory defaults - also worth a try.
    When you switch around between inputs with the manual switch... do you get
    any message from the DVI display?

    Cheers
    ==--==

    ==--==, Feb 28, 2006