    Xen or VMWare - Which is better to run multiple Linux based
    applications on a Intel Xeon HW?
    Why? Which is more widely used in the Market?

    qazmlp1209, Jun 15, 2007

  2. VMware is the dominant Virtualization product.

    General Schvantzkoph, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Since you are going Linux, why not look at the kvm capability built into
    the kernel?

    Some talking points:
    - kvm - built into the kernel, not currently dependent on 3rd party
    software and uses the CPU VM hardware
    - xen - has more features, will run on older non-VM hardware
    - VMware - slightly faster for some operations, will run ill-behaved O/S
    like Win-95SE which uses real mode, 3rd party commercial

    Note: these are just things I find useful to separate technology, they
    may not match any of your needs.

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 15, 2007
  4. qazmlp1209

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Here's a list of features on various virtualization solutions:

    Comparison of virtual machines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

    On paper, it seems Xen is the equal of Vmware, but Vmware has been
    around longer and has more experience. Also Vmware has been working on
    x86 hardware long before virtualization features were built into them,
    so it might the only choice depending on which Xeon processors you're
    talking about (i.e. older Xeons).

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 27, 2007