XFX 6600GT nVidia GeForce During boot, screen text corrupt. Bad Card or inadequite PS

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by JC, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. JC

    JC Guest

    System specs:

    PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 350 ATX/ATX 12V
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 BIOS 1004
    Athlon XP 2600+ 333 MHz FSB
    2 Corsair CL-2 DDR DIMM's 433MHz @ 256 Meg's ea. (dual bank) 512 total
    Using the nForce Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    Using the nForce Audio Processing Unit
    Using the USB ports
    Adaptec AHA-2930CU PCI SCSI Adapter in PCI slot 2
    2 Western Digital 120 gig JB's (special Sditions(8 Meg Cache))
    1 Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1401
    1 Yamaha CD-RW CRW2100S
    3.5" Floppy
    PS2 Keyboard
    PS2 Mouse

    OK the old Video Card is a ATi Radeon 9700 Pro and it woks flawlessly.

    After inserting the XFX 6600GT and booting, all text output to screen
    is corrupt. Just a mess of square blobs of color like the characters
    have been blown apart, resembling cubic splatter that dance.

    I tried both DVI outputs and both DVI to Analog RGB adapters. I tried
    with and without a PS molex plugged into the card. I even used a
    second separate 250 Watt PS dedicated to nothing but the 6600GT. I
    reseated the card and connectors 3 - 4 times.

    I'm thinking "Bad Card" because were talking about a 2d text screen.
    Not a full blown 3D rendered 1600x1200 screen. But then again I'm not
    sure how they engineered the card so it could require "mega watts" at
    idle for all I know.

    I reinstalled the Radeon and it woks perfect.

    Anyone with experience in DOA Video cards, (especially a similar
    setup) would be greatly appreciated. I would appreciated a prompt
    response due to RMA restrictions.

    Thank You Much,

    JC

    JC, Jan 3, 2005

  2. JC

    JC Guest

    Just forgot to mention a few more current gobblers:

    7 Antec case fans
    80x80x38 mm 80.6 CFM, 5900RPM Delta fan on the Swiftech MCX462 CPU-
    Heatsink

    JC, Jan 3, 2005

  3. JC

    DaveL Guest

    Sounds like a bad card to me.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Jan 3, 2005
  4. JC

    John Guest

    I agree with DaveL I think it's a bad card too. Or you motherboard
    might not support it but normaly when its the case, the system bips and
    don't show colored squares. Try to exchange it if it still does it tell
    the groups.

    John, Jan 4, 2005
  5. JC

    JC Guest

    Thanks, I've requested an RMA. Also ordered a 510 watt PS. I will
    post results with and without new PS, upon receiving the replacement.

    Again thanks for your time.

    JC

    JC, Jan 4, 2005