  1. Just dont want to waste the Cards performance, is 2 Ghz CPu a decent
    match, not alot of bottle necking ?

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004

    JAD Guest

    What mainboard? IOW FSB would be?

    JAD, Jan 24, 2004

  3. A7v266-e, 266 fsb.

    Using PC 2100, with a 100mhz overclock :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Ive got a Radeon 9600 Pro seems ok, but with the 9800 prices now, i
    can get a 9800 Pro 500 bucks Australian, better than the 700,800,900
    they were.

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004

    JAD Guest

    A7v266-e, 266 fsb.

    Using PC 2100, with a 100mhz overclock :)

    I think you were bonked on the head one too many times while in defense of the 'one'. Overclocking today is sort of 'boring'
    where's the challenge? jumpers and software enablebility(word check) whoopee doo OC'n is an overrated pastime..MO of course, comes
    from trying to squeeze 12mhz out of a 8mhz 8086..getting there and really thinking your something...ready to hack the planet....but
    I digress.....

    JAD, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Want to answer the question or not ?

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004

    Lithurge Guest

    Wouldn't bother with Jad mate.

    He just spent (and may still do but I don't see it anymore) a
    lot of time asking questions but never actually trying
    anything for himself and then moaning when people tried to
    help.

    Lithurge, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Help with what ?

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004

    Lithurge Guest

    Bear with me as I killfiled him a long time ago, but I seem
    to remember it was for advice on the Omega drivers vs the
    official ATI ones.

    A lot of people gave opinions and all he could do was moan
    about how this group was rubbish and didn't have anybody
    useful on it.

    As for your question it's probably worth looking at a few
    hardware review sites for reviews of the 9800, some of them
    will likely comment on the bottleneck factor of CPU's on it.

    It may help if it has more memory than your current card, one
    thing I've noticed with Far Cry demo & my 9700Pro 128mb
    (Athlon XP 2.8, reported speed 2.09) is that autodetect sets
    everything to high except texture resolution, which I believe
    is affected by the Grafx card ram.

    Lithurge, Jan 24, 2004
  10. Well i was thinking of upgrading to a Barton 2.8 400fsb, with PC3200
    ram.

    Or would you recommend a Pentium 4 ? 3.06 with hyper threading ? and
    PET what the @((@ is PET anyway ? does it speed things up ? PET or PAT
    ?

    Ive been jumping from Cyrix to Pentium, to Celeron, to AMD, might make
    the jump back to intell what the hell.

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004

    JAD Guest

    Earth to lethargic!! I have never had any trouble to need help....except last year when the OMEGA fanboys were in here....and it
    wasn't help then either.

    JAD, Jan 24, 2004

    JAD Guest

    To answer would mean a bunch of quotes about speed of the bus compared to the memory speed of the card. If you have read about this
    and don't understand, I can relate, however, when you cut through the BS, it basically will be a bottleneck no matter what, until
    the PCI/ AGP interface changes. Would you get the power of the 9800, compared to what?

    JAD, Jan 24, 2004
  13. 9600 pro.

    So 266 fsb and 9800 pro is a NO go, need like 400 FSB to mak eit
    worthwhile then ?

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 24, 2004

    Sleepy Guest

    my experience of recent games that use shaders extensively is they really
    push the graphics card.
    i get poorer performance with my Xp2400 and radeon 9100 than ppl with a
    Xp1700 and 9600 in stuff like halo,
    knights of the old republic, deus ex: invisible war etc ...
    so yes you will see a perfomance gain with a 9800 and make sure you have at
    least 512mb of RAM.

    Sleepy, Jan 24, 2004
  15. 1 Gig of ram man, i remember my Atari St 512k of ram, worked great :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 25, 2004

    Sleepy Guest

    I had an Amiga mate - those were the days ...

    Sleepy, Jan 25, 2004

    Lithurge Guest

    Wouldn't like to make a recommendation on which way to jump
    at the moment as I'm happy with my current rig I've not been
    following developments too closely.

    I expect my next upgrade will involve PCI Express and
    probably a 64 bit processor depending on how long it takes
    for prices to come down on a devent step up in processor
    speed. I've noticed that unintentionally, every time I
    upgrade the processor speed is roughly double the previous
    one.

    Lithurge, Jan 25, 2004
  18. My Atari is better than your stinking Amiga crap :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 27, 2004

    JAD Guest

    Sleepy,

    Performance gain over what exactly?

    JAD, Jan 27, 2004

    Darthy Guest

    Oh? How many colors could it display? And what form of multitasking
    did it do? Which computers did Multitasking in 1985~1990?

    Size of the OS?! (heheh).

    Darthy, Jan 27, 2004