XP 2800+ crashes my ATI 9700 system

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Highlandish, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    I had a perfect system for playing games, the ATI powercolor 9700 non-pro
    card cranks out any game I throw at it with full on beefed up settings, but
    the 2000+ cpu seemed to be holding me back and it was time to upgrade. I
    purchased the 2800+ and installed it with a volcano9 heatsink/fan, it idles
    at 60'C and the fan keeps it there.

    now when I play neverwinternights I crash constantly with no determined
    cause. the CPU is the only thing I have installed for a while before the
    crashes, including software. the last error seemed to point towards a dll
    file with the graphics card

    I have updated my drivers for every piece of software and hardware after the
    crashes have started, but nothing seems to help.

    do any of you have any idea if there are any known conflicts with the below
    specs?

    system specs
    XP pro
    dx9b
    512mb pc2700 ram
    powercolor 9700 non-pro 128mb
    a7v333 Asus mobo
    SB live 5.1
    2800+ cpu
    2x80gb seagate hdd

    --
    I was toilet trained on a Tommy The Turtle Trainer,
    now every time I see a turtle I crap my pants

    Add the word "USENET" to the subject line to email me.
    white-list mail filter in use

    Highlandish, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Highlandish

    Ben Pope Guest

    Sounds high. (hotter than mine at idle - and you're going some there).

    You sure the heatsink is mounted correctly?
    Yeah - wouldn't rely on the info on the BSOD screen too much - especially if
    it varies.
    Was it running at 166MHz before you changed the processor?

    Try relaxing the timings.
    Should handle 166MHz without difficulties.
    166MHz * 13.5 (T'bred B), I presume?
    133MHz * 12.5 was the speed of XP 2000+ right?

    Did your RAM run in synch with the FSB or was it at 166MHz before the
    upgrade?

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Highlandish

    BF Guest

    60C seems really high for an idle temp. Mine idles at 32C with a room temp
    of about 23C (73 F). That is only 9C higher than room temperature. I would
    solve the heat problem first. It just might solve your crashing problem too.

    BF, Sep 12, 2003
  4. Highlandish

    rstlne Guest

    Sounds like it's heat related to me, I use a zalman flower with a fan turned
    all the way down (probably one of the worst coolers you can get, but it's
    not that loud).. and I idle ~47c and top at about 52/53c.. So it def sounds
    like your running too hot, you didnt mention how much you have it oc'd so
    maybee your just pushing the system too hard? .. but if your not oc'ing then
    I would guess it's heat

    rstlne, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    nope, no OC on my system, the a7v333 wont allow it. but I shall look at the
    FSB as another mentioned, I never thought of that

    Highlandish, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    I will have to look at the FSB, I never thought of that, I was assuming I
    might have to reset my machine with a new OS

    Highlandish, Sep 12, 2003
  7. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    ok, now I am getting whole system crashes (freezes, no BSOD) without games.
    I am unsure whether it was 12.5 with the 2000+ but it is now with my 2800+.
    should I change it to 13.5?

    the pc2700 ddram 333mhz, I don't understand the bit where it should have a
    higher or equal fsb to the cpu but somewhere here is the fault, can you
    explain this a bit more?

    I have had I crash whilst writing this post I have to continuously save as I
    write so I can come back and finish writing. I have reseated my volcano9 hsf
    but the temp is still 60-62'c so I don't think it was the hsf being badly
    installed, I replaced the arctic silver thermal paste and no difference was
    found. I really do believe my volcano9 should be sufficient as the one
    supplied and authorised by AMD is much smaller.

    if it helps, cpuid came up with this about my model to tell you what it is
    speed 2079 mhz
    L1 64
    L2 512
    family model step 6.10.0
    mmx/extended
    3dnow/extended

    a friend of mine who has the same set-up but with a volcano11 states his cpu
    at 12.5 runs at 43'c (169.1 fsb) (bus speed 338.3)

    Highlandish, Sep 12, 2003
  8. Highlandish

    Ben Pope Guest

    Did you try this?

    That question still stands.. I asked it twice.
    Do you have a Thoroughbred or Barton 2800+? I think the Thoroughbred runs
    at 166MHz * 13.5 and the Barton 12.5
    You RAM runs NOT at 333MHz, but at 166MHz, like the FSB presumably?

    Was the RAM at 133MHz when you had the previous CPU (As I presume the
    previous CPU had a 133MHz FSB), or was the RAM running at 166MHz?

    I can't help you unless you answer my questions to you.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 12, 2003
  9. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    hey dude, I tried with as much knowledge as I had to answer you at the time
    (crashes constantly). so far I discovered that the settings were at 166/33,
    I changed to 133/33 and so far so good. I have a Barton chip. I cant set my
    bios higher than 12.5 with my jumperless mobo.

    anyway the change I made makes my cpu run at 1668.7 MHz instead of 2083.2
    MHz. if you like can I send you the 2 cpu-z html reports via email, perhaps
    you could make more sense of it than I can. my cpu aint up to speed now that
    it is underclocked, although it is stable.

    Highlandish, Sep 12, 2003
  10. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    hi, it seems I have the answer to my problem, see here:
    http://forums.networknext.com/pcpp/viewtopic.php?p=188689#188689 (you may
    need to register, but I don't think so) but it seems that I have a REV1 MB
    when the REV2 version actually supports my chip. I need a new MB.

    Highlandish, Sep 12, 2003
  11. Highlandish

    rstlne Guest

    It still shouldnt crash (but you might not get the full speed of the cpu)
    but the a7v333 (should) run your chip just fine.. Even if your got a chip
    that is over rated for the board then it will still actually run (I wasnt
    sure about this this till I started doing some major digging)..

    Now I want to ask, did you look into the cpu heat problem? .. If you start
    playing games and it crashes then that could just be because the cpu is
    heating up.. Your idle temp on it's own is horrible
    check the heatsink first before you buy anything, Also how much power does
    your power supply have? that could be the problem when moving to a new chip
    also

    rstlne, Sep 12, 2003
  12. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    I currently use a antec truepower 380w powersupply to accommodate my ati
    r9700np graphics card.

    I checked the ASUS site and my rev1 board supports up to the 2600+
    thoroughbred, and I hold in my hands the 2800+ Barton. there is no other way
    around it, but the thread mentions I should check out overclockers.com.au so
    I am off to there now

    as for cooling, with the fan turned on (adjustable speed rates) I get 45'c
    but with the fan off I get 60'c

    Highlandish, Sep 13, 2003
  13. Highlandish

    rstlne Guest

    Your not turning the fan off are you?

    rstlne, Sep 13, 2003
  14. Highlandish

    Highlandish Guest

    In
    I had previously kept it off with the 2000+ because the damned thing is as
    loud as a vacuum cleaner. even when I had it turned right down it will still
    kick in when it climbs too high. so I don't mean off but turned down so it
    switches off when its not needed.

    Highlandish, Sep 13, 2003