    noticed was to create a 'network disc' but I can't do that because my Tablet
    does not have a floppy drive.

    Any ideas on what I can do?

    Steph, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Steph

    Chris H. Guest

    You may be able to create a USB "Windows Connect Now" stick to transfer your
    settings. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx I'm
    not sure Windows 2000 is "aware" of such items, though.

    Are you running an ad hoc networking, or are the computers connecting
    through a router? Can you describe your setup more fully, including what
    other hardware is involved?

    Chris H., Apr 16, 2006

  3. Steph

    Steph Guest

    Chris,

    Thank you for the feedback, I'll try that. My setup is really simple. I
    have a Dlink router that has two network cables coming out of it, one to my
    desktop computer and the other to my tablet. However, sometimes I do use the
    wireless side of my router for my tablet. Obviously I am already sharing the
    internet connection, all I want to do is share some files and a printer (that
    is connected to the tablet). I've heard I can also buy a print server thingy
    so I can connect my printer directly to my network but right now I can't
    afford that so I want to be able to print from my desktop computer through my
    tablet.

    I hope this clears things up. Thank you! :)

    Steph, Apr 16, 2006
  4. Steph

    Chris H. Guest

    Okay, some basic steps then, Steph. On both computers, right-click My
    Computer and select Properties. Go to the Computer Name tab and almost in
    the center you'll see Workgroup: (name). Make sure those match on both
    computers. Some installs set up the default workgroup as "Workgroup", and
    others as "MSHOME". They must match.

    Then, on both systems, go into Network Connections and right-click the icon
    representing your Local Area Network. Take a look on the General tab in the
    section, "This connection uses the following items:" and make sure you have
    Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
    Networks installed. Additionally, you must Share the files/folders on each
    computer for the other to be able to have access to them. It isn't
    automatic.

    Regarding the printer, on the computer from which you're going to share the
    printer, open Printers and Faxes so you can see the icon representing the
    printer connected and right-click it. You'll see Sharing... on the
    right-click menu. Follow the little wizard to make sure that printer is
    shared and give it a name. Apply and OK your way out. I would restart the
    systems after that.

    Then on the Tablet PC, if all else above is functional and set up correctly,
    go into Printers and Faxes, and select Add a printer under Printer Tasks in
    the left pane. Use Browse to locate the printer (connected to a network
    computer), and find the one you've named in the paragraph above.

    Chris H., Apr 16, 2006
  5. Steph

    Steph Guest

    Thank you! I tried the other path you gave me and I don't think that will
    work because it talks about setting up a wireless network. I think I am okay
    there because I set that up in my router. The problem is getting the two
    computers on a wired network.

    I'll try the thing you just described and see if that will work.

    Thank you so much! Wish me luck.

    Steph, Apr 16, 2006
  6. Steph

    Chris H. Guest

    What is the router you are using? Brand and model number would be helpful.

    Chris H., Apr 16, 2006
  7. Steph

    Steph Guest

    Thank you so much, that worked! That was so easy! I have spent the past two
    weeks trying to figure out how to do it based on other postings and trying to
    follow the XP tutorial on creating a network. The way you said was so quick
    and easy I can't figure out why they even talk about doing it with your xp
    disc, then a network setup disc, then using your xp disc on another computer,
    etc.

    To answer your previous question, my router is an old dlink DI614 I bought
    about five years ago. It seems to work fine for what I need though. Why do
    you ask?

    Steph

    Steph, Apr 17, 2006
  8. Steph

    Chris H. Guest

    Good deal, Steph. Glad it is working. Why did I ask about the hardware
    involved? Because some people have purchased new base station/routers which
    have the "speed booster" type broadcasts, trying to get a 108 Mbps signal,
    and those routers would only with their own brand adapters and equipment,
    and not necessarily the normal, approved 54 Mbps wireless protocols. When
    we're trying to solve issues by reading what someone has posted, the more
    details available the better.

    Chris H., Apr 17, 2006