XP 3000+ vs XP 3200+

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Brett Tyre, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    I'm in the beginning stages of building myself a new gaming system and I am
    torn between getting the XP 3000+ processor or the higher-end 3200+.

    My problems lies in the fact that aside from being $150 more expensive, the
    3200+ is very hard to find in my area and mail-order would be considerably
    more expensive. I've found only one source that claims to have stock.

    Would I be better off going straight for the 3200+ or getting a 3000+ and
    overclocking it a bit to match the specs of a 3200+?

    --
    NP:
    Brett Tyre

    www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
    London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
    "I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
    different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

    Brett Tyre, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    I forgot to mention, the only sources in my area carry the 33MHz FSB XP
    3000+, NOT the 400MHz FSB version.

    Brett Tyre, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Brett Tyre

    Wes Newell Guest

    I don't know about better off, but you'd save a lot of money getting a
    2500+ and clocking it to a 3200+. A 2500+ is a barton core clocked 11x166.
    A 3200+ is a barton core clocked 11x200.

    Wes Newell, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Brett Tyre

    BF Guest

    64 3200+ now $270 on Newegg.

    BF, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Would I be better off going straight for the 3200+ or getting a 3000+ and
    There are, IMO, 3 ways in which to look at this situation. There is

    A) If you have money to throw around, buy the 3200+.
    B) Get the 3000+ and overclock it to match the 3200+.
    C) You buy a good overclocking system and get a 2500+/2600+ and
    overclock the hell out of it. This is a good option as you will have a
    good sum of money left over to spend on the rest of the system.

    The advantage to purchasing the 3200+ is the raw horsepower and it will
    still be overclockable. The other routes may allow you more money to
    spend on things such as better cooling devices (water cooling anyone?)
    or better system components.

    Also put some thought into some case fans, a good heatsink + thermal
    paste. There's always extra heat because of overclocking. It is always
    good to have a good heatsink and a good deal of air circulation in your
    case, reguardless of your system setup.

    --
    Athlon XP 2500+ OC to 2800+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

    Peter Garbarino, Jan 11, 2004
  6. One reference that you may find useful is this link:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031223/index.html

    --
    Athlon XP 2500+ OC to 2800+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

    Peter Garbarino, Jan 11, 2004
  7. What are you doing that requires the fast CPU? Most systems today are not
    limited by the CPU clock rate but rather, the disk rotation speed. If what
    you are doing involves disk activity that is not hidden by the large cache
    mechanisms in Windows, I suggest purchasing a 15,000 RPM disk will make your
    system "feel" faster to the fingers. Watch out for buying specs.

    William W. Plummer, Jan 11, 2004