xp cd will not give prompt

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cpark, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. cpark

    cpark Guest

    I just built a new system with an asus a7v880 mobo, a basic
    cd drive, a cd/rw drive, and a western digital 80 gig driveSATA. I
    originally had a grounding issue where I got no power to any periferal
    or
    IDE sockets. That has been solved. The system boots and posts just
    fine.
    It finds all drive properly in the bios and I disabled the floppy drive
    in
    the bios(none installed) and have the cd master as first boot then IDE
    HDD
    second. All connections are fine and all jumpers are correct with cd
    master
    jumper on master and HDD master also in master. When the O/S cd is put
    in
    the cd master drive I hear it start as I do the HDD drive but no prompt
    for
    " boot to cd drive press any key ". All I get is a blinking cursor. I
    have
    2 XP registered cd's. I tried both with the same results. What am I
    forgetting or missing? Help, I'm at a loss. Is there still a grounding
    issue between the cd drives or HDD that is causing this to happen
    Thank You So Much for any Responses

    cpark, Dec 17, 2004

  2. I believe that, without loading the SATA drivers at the prompt from a
    floppy, WinXP won't recognise the drive....same as with drives on an
    expansion board, such as a raid board.

    David Priessman, Dec 17, 2004

  3. cpark

    cpark Guest

    Thank You for your response,

    If I load win2000pro(i believe that they have SATA drivers on the disk)
    first then upgrade to XP do you think that may work?

    Thanks Again

    cpark, Dec 17, 2004
  5. cpark

    KC Computers Guest

    I just built a new system with an asus a7v880 mobo, a basic
    It sounds like the CD-ROM drive may not be getting
    recognized. Try disconnecting the hard drive cable
    then see if the XP CD boots.

    KC Computers, Dec 17, 2004
  6. cpark

    cpark Guest

    I'll give it a go. I was thinking of loading 2000 pro first because
    the sata drivers are on thatone, then upgrading.
    Thanks for the response

    cpark, Dec 17, 2004
  7. cpark

    Pete D Guest

    You should be able to boot from a CD with no hard drive install.

    Pete D, Dec 17, 2004
  8. cpark

    cpark Guest

    I'll give it a try

    Thank you for all your responses

    cpark, Dec 17, 2004
  9. cpark

    ytrewq Guest

    you are not using XP upgrade CD....are you?
    Have you tried using just 1 CD drive at a time? I would try each seperately,
    jumpered as master.

    ytrewq, Dec 18, 2004