XP Drivers for Presario 5000Z CTO Model

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Mike, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Im trying to find the required XP drivers for a clean install of XP Home
    that im doing on a Presario 5000Z.
    I haven't been able to determine the actual model number yet, but did get
    the original system configuration by doing a search with the serial number
    here: http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/parts/hwlookup.asp

    Serial #: 9123CGWZL758

    This showed the 5000Z series, but no model number. The model number lookup
    wont work with the serial number i entered, and i think this is due to the
    fact that this is a CTO model.
    I found this reply on the Compaq Forum for someone else with a CTO model.
    "As this model is a Configure to Order model (CTO), this model is not listed
    in the software and drivers website. To get the updates, contact Compaq
    Order Center at 800-952-7689 and order the Enhancement CD pack."

    There has got to be some way of obtaining the correct drivers and or BIOS
    upgrades (if needed) without ordering this Enhanced CD Pack.

    Any ideas are appreciated.

    Mike, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Mike

    Rick Guest

    First step is to look on the motherboard and get exact numbers
    off the chipset, onboard network card, video and audio (if present),
    etc. Then take your list, go to each manufacturer's website and
    download the latest XP driver. Win2K drivers will likely work if
    no XP-specific drivers are available.

    As far as system bios, that's the only Compaq-specific update you
    should need to worry about. Go into your system bios and write
    down the "ROM Family" ID. Download and install the latest
    system bios for that family. I'm familiar with two, hopefully your
    system is one of these. For 686Y2 the download is here:
    http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_detail.asp?Model=2755&Div=4&Os=0&SoftwareVer=15353

    And for 686C3:
    http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_detail.asp?Model=2371&Div=4&Os=0&SoftwareVer=12954

    (above links may wrap)

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Mike

    Mike Calkins Guest

    I'd start by checking the Windows XP compatibility from Microsoft's
    website... This should list issues with XP, and devices that may not work
    properly.
    Then you'll have your shopping list...... IMHO the enhancement CD is worth
    the $10.

    Mike in Houston

    Mike Calkins, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the replies.
    I had gone ahead and tried installing XP and it detected all devices and
    installation went without a hitch.
    My ROM Family is 786K3. ROM Date 5/3/01
    The only place i could find anything relating to this was at the link below,
    and this was after searching Google.
    Compaq's search turned up nothing.
    The date on the new ROM update is 9/4/01.
    Don't think its worth upgrading if all is o.k. and my actual model number is
    still in question.
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/18501.html

    Mike, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Mike