    Install XP on 640m

    = Fast, solid, woo hoo

    Hasta la Vista, Vista

    journey, Mar 6, 2007

  2. journey

    RnR Guest

    You seemed to reach this conclusion pretty fast but I believe you.
    That's why I won't upgrade to Vista till at least SP1 (already in the
    works I understand). To be honest, I really don't see any need to do
    it except my curiousity. I sure wish it was faster to make me more
    anxious to go to Vista.

    Thanks Journey for your testing and conclusions. It helps the rest of
    us <smile> !!

    RnR, Mar 6, 2007

  3. journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    "Japan bombs Pearl Harbor."

    S.Lewis, Mar 6, 2007
  4. journey

    Stevo Guest

    Mine goes faster than it did with XP. I have 512mb RAM, Pent 4HT,
    integrated graphics, and a 160gb hard drive. I have experienced no
    problems with my computer since I upgraded, and (because I don't use
    it anyway) I disabled speech recognition, so it can't delete itself.

    Cheers

    Stevo

    Stevo, Mar 7, 2007
  5. journey

    Davy Guest

    Did ya' know it can delete it's own files.... :D ?
    could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or
    folders.
    Hasta la Vista ~ bang goes the installation.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm there's some more
    read ups in News n' Stuff, one guy reckons it took over 3 hours to
    install

    A Vista story....
    minutes. Not if you upgrade from XP.
    Would waiting for service pack 1 be enough I ask..? I would have
    thought they would have excelled from the Xp saga and got it a little
    right... think this is like Xp "a Friday night rush job".

    So much for the party they threw for the hackers.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/5413792.stm

    These are taken from articles in News n' Stuff, don't know if you seen
    them or not.

    Davy

    Davy, Mar 7, 2007
  6. journey

    journey Guest

    If you stick to mainstream apps, don't need hardware drivers, don't
    use utility programs, there are cases in which Vista may be without
    any problems. I am guessing it's the exception rather than the rule.

    Also, at first Vista seemed fast to me. After I installed a firewall
    (Zone Alarm), anti-virus (Avast), and other things, Vista wasn't
    quite so crisp anymore.

    Also, those who compare their old XP vs. their new Vista may be
    comparing XP with a lot of garbage in the registry and other things. A
    long-used XP vs. a new Vista of course could seem slower. The only
    way to really compare is Apples to Apples (oops, wrong fruit).

    journey, Mar 7, 2007