    Does the XP Home Edition include anything that the Media Center edition
    doesn't?

    Thanks.

    davejohnson12, Dec 12, 2005

  2. davejohnson12

    Jay B Guest

    media center is better, you can always tame the extra features if they
    arent needed.
    i've stopped media center from starting up the apps automatically, so it
    is just an icon on my desktop if i want a glorified "media player".

    but it will occupy over 2gb additional of disk space over the original
    home install. these are mostly the samples they give you which can be
    erased.

    Jay B, Dec 12, 2005

  3. davejohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    Actually the reverse is true. MCE is built on Pro, not Home, and inherits
    many of its features. go with MCE

    Tom Scales, Dec 12, 2005
  4. davejohnson12

    Bob Levine Guest

    Not according to this:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-5536454.html

    Keep in mind that this is version 2005 we're talking about. It's the
    third release and the first two were indeed built on Pro.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Dec 12, 2005
  5. There's a lot of confusion about this. The bottom line is that MCE 2005 has
    all the features of Home + most of the features of Pro. Direct from a
    software engineer on the Media Center team at MS:

    "Media Center is not XP Home. It's not XP Pro either. Media Center should
    now be thought of as another version of XP just like Home and Pro. It's
    closer to Pro than Home, the major difference is that Media Center 2005 does
    not support connecting to a domain. The reason for this is that Extender
    devices use Fast User Switching technology to work and that functionality is
    not available on a domain."
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mcreasy/archive/2004/10/13/241803.aspx

    Eddie Aftandilian, Dec 12, 2005
  6. davejohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    Interesting article, but wrong. I know of which I speak. Four of my five
    are MCE 2005. Check out the MCE newsgroup or thegreenbutton.com and you'll
    see the truth :)

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 12, 2005
  7. davejohnson12

    Bob Levine Guest

    Interesting....thanks.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Dec 12, 2005
  8. davejohnson12

    hdrdtd Guest

    hdrdtd, Dec 12, 2005
  9. davejohnson12

    Jay B Guest

    i hate to say this,
    but media center really is an addon program that gets added on after
    windows xp is installed. it is integrated into the main installer and i
    have not looked to see about breaking it out myself.
    after installed, but it can be disabled like a separate program, and you
    can start it back up. i've done this many times. i leave it as an icon
    on the desktop.
    you can get the same affect by buying the snapstream product...
    and installing it yourself.

    i wouldnt be surprised if microsoft actually is bundling a version of
    the snapstream product because they look very similar to me. i dont use
    either myself, just installed for various clients.

    I am guessing that it is PRO that is getting installed first, and then
    MC is getting installed on top, superceding some of the dll's from pro.
    that is why the domain feature is removed.

    Jay B, Dec 12, 2005
  10. davejohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    It is an application, of sorts, but does have significant differences. It
    'modifies' the underlying OS. MS calls it an OS.

    It is definately not the Snapstream product. Snapstream's Beyond TV is
    vastly superior. MCE has way too many limitations, including a whopping two
    tuners. I under 6 tuners under Beyond TV and it works flawlessly. BTV even
    has a PC based extender which is key functionality missing from MCE.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 12, 2005
  11. davejohnson12

    sflaxman Guest

    I was always told to get XP Pro as its networking capabilities were
    much better than home. Are you saying that I don't have to upgrade to
    XP Pro if XP Media Center is standard with the system?

    What are the advantages of XP Pro over Media Center if any?

    Thanks in advance.

    sflaxman, Dec 13, 2005
  12. davejohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, that is what I would say. The advantage of XP Pro is joining a domain
    (unlikely at home) and cached credentials (unlikely at home). The superior
    networking and security capabilities of Pro over Home are included with MCE,
    as is Remote Desktop.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 13, 2005
  13. I'm guessing Media Center doesn't have the abilty to run the MS ASP web server?

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 14, 2005
  14. Thanks to everyone for the replies. I went with Media Center.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 14, 2005
  15. davejohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    If you mean Internet Information Server (IIS), then yes it does. Run it on
    mine.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 15, 2005
  16. Yes that is what I meant. I was told that XP Home edition could not run it and I
    assumed the same was true for Media Center. Interesting. Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 17, 2005