XP Home - VS - Media Center Edition

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Charles B. Summers, May 11, 2006.

  1. Which would you choose, and why?

    Charles B. Summers, May 11, 2006

  2. Charles B. Summers

    S.Lewis Guest

    Depends on the manner in which you plan to use the machine. That information
    would help.

    S.Lewis, May 11, 2006

  3. That is the information that I'd like to know. I use XP Home and
    Professional, but have no idea as to what the use of Media Edition is for.

    Charles B. Summers, May 11, 2006
  4. Charles B. Summers

    Mike Guest

    Media Center Edition is XP Pro with a Tivo like application (Media Center)
    added into it. Even if you never use the Media Center application, you still
    get the benefits of XP Pro like remote desktop server; no reason not to get
    Media Center over home that I can think of.

    There are restrictions in Media Center Edition on joining domains, but those
    are easily overcome (see other threads in this group) and if you had home
    you wouldn't be able to join domains at all.

    -Mike

    Mike, May 11, 2006
  5. Thanks Mike!

    Charles B. Summers, May 11, 2006
  6. Charles B. Summers

    journey Guest

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 23:38:21 -0500, "Charles B. Summers" <charles
    I would choose MCE because it's more like Pro than home. For example,
    you cannot access a Windows Home PC from any other PC using Remote
    Desktop. You could not access it over the web.

    You can do these things with MCE.

    You are not giving up anything with MCE. And, you get one interface
    into video recording if you should choose to do that. Check out
    Beyond TV if you want to do that, I have heard that is good.

    Journey

    journey, May 12, 2006
  7. Charles B. Summers

    S.Lewis Guest

    If there is no price difference, then by all means go for MCE.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 12, 2006