    issue.

    Any insights as to why this might be happening and how to cure it?

    Thanks for all input.

    Doc, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Doc

    Malke Guest

    This apparently is a used computer, hardware from Compaq. Right? It
    sounds very much like the person who sold it to you at one point
    upgraded the machine from (probably) Windows ME with an XP disk or
    image he/she got from a Dell machine. If this is correct, I see two
    problems here:

    1. If the seller did not provide any operating system or restore cd's
    with the machine, he sold it to you without the license to have an
    operating system on the box. Illegalities aside (and it was illegal for
    him to have sold you the machine as it is now without the operating
    system software), from a practical standpoint this leaves you
    completely out in the cold if you need to do any system repairs where
    the operating system is required. You will need to purchase an
    operating system.

    2. Compaqs are made with very proprietary hardware and software. As
    originally sold, this machine would have come with Compaq Recovery
    Disks with images of the operating system, special power management
    software, drivers, and any third-party programs bundled with the
    system. It is unlikely that anything except Compaq-written drivers will
    work with that box.

    I can't tell you what to do next, but if it is possible I'd return the
    machine and get your money back. Buy a new computer and start over.
    Otherwise, go to Compaq's website and look for downloads and drivers
    for your particular model computer. Make sure the programs are for
    Windows XP and not ME. Download what you can. Depending on what you
    get, you may need to uninstall older drivers before installing the
    right ones.

    Good luck,

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 25, 2004