    excel, word, irfanview, media player. Then I tested switching between apps.
    Response was virtually instantaneous and the page file remained constant in
    size.

    Fred, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Fred

    S.Lewis Guest

    Did this with an XPS T750 I donated to my wife's classroom as well (only
    192mb) for her kids. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the old system
    responded.(XP Home)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Out of curiousity, what's your swap size and how much was it dipping
    into it (for it to be "instaneous" the apps your were switching between
    must have been in RAM)? The slowest machine I've used XP on was my
    previous laptop, an IBM T21 with P3-M 800 with 256MB of RAM, and with a
    load like that it would definitely be in the swap. Although the
    performance was certainly reasonable, I wouldn't call it "virtually
    instantaneous". Heck, I run Fluxbox (an extremely light weight Linux
    windows manager) on my Dell Lat LS P3 400 with 256MB of RAM and I
    wouldn't call it instaneous (and I don't even hit the swap file with
    Mozilla SeaMonkey & several terminals open).

    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Fred

    ric Guest

    i've put Xp on scores of low spec machines. my rule of thumb is
    anything over PII/300MHz *is* usable provided there's enough RAM. 128
    bare minimum (you'll have to turn down the eyecandy for this) or 192
    for preference. it's slightly more usable than Win2K, as well.

    ric, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Fred

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I have XP Pro running on a PII 300 laptop with 320MB RAM (was 192
    until I found a spare stick of 128 lying aorund) and a 4GB HDD. While
    not exactly quick, it is quite serviceable for internet and Office
    stuff. I've popped in a wireless card too and find the setup quite
    adequate for picking up emails and browsing from my bed.

    My main computing needs are met by a PIII 900 laptop with 512MB/60GB
    and an AMD 64 3000 1024MB/650GB Media Center PC but the little 8 year
    old PII is a handy addition to my home network.

    To save on your shopping click here - http://www.rpoints.com/?ruid=44653
    To sign up with PlusNet click here - http://tinyurl.com/b9wqs

    Tiny Tim, Oct 14, 2005
  6. I'm certainly not denying it's possible, I just don't believe its as
    "virtually instaneous" as the original poster describes (even with all
    the eye candy off).

    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 14, 2005
  7. Fred

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I find whenever I perform a clean build on any of my machines the
    performance is really quite good until I start loading it up with
    anti-virus (I use NOD32 but others are as bad or worse), anti-spyware
    and other software that starts loading up background tasks and
    services. Then it all turns to s##t.

    Tiny Tim, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Fred

    Martik Guest

    Page file is approx 210mb and REMAINS constant as I switch to each app. HD
    is loud so I would know if it's swapping. There is some initial swapping as
    I load each app but after the HD settles down, it appears to all be in
    memory.

    Martik, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Fred

    Jerry McEwen Guest

    I have only one machine running XP (others run Win2k), but I wonder -
    did M$ finally wise up and set the swap file relative to the system
    components (or did you do this?) That might account for the lack of
    swapping.

    Jerry McEwen, Oct 15, 2005