XP on new R50p - rundll32 hogs CPU.

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Pete Bennett, May 21, 2004.

  1. Pete Bennett

    Pete Bennett Guest

    My recently repaired R50p has a problem with rundll32.exe which sometimes
    starts hogging the CPU.
    I understand from searches that this is an executable that allows services
    coded as DLLs to be loaded and run.
    How do I find which service or which DLL is misbehaving? I have tried
    running msconfig and looking at the services listsed in the services tab, bt
    I can't tell which one from that lot might be doing it.

    If someone could point me at a tool or a procedure that tells me which DLL
    is causing this, I'd really appreciate it.
    There is usually only one rundll32 instances active in the system, and I
    can't seem to stop it with Task Manager => End Process. The rundll32 is
    running as my logged in user, so perhaps logging out and in again would fix
    it.

    This happens sometimes after a Hibernate, sometimes after Standby, but also
    sometimes just after a full reboot without having gone through either of
    those dormant states.

    Perplexed Pete.

    Pete Bennett, May 21, 2004

  2. Pete Bennett

    Otis Guest

    Otis, May 21, 2004

  3. Pete Bennett

    Aaron Propst Guest

    I'm getting the same problem!!
    forces me to reboot in order to recover the system.. pisses me off.

    I already checked it out using process explorer.. and it pointed me to power
    management of some sort.. but I can't figure out what i can turn off /
    restart to shut up rundll32... (short of restarting the puter.. of course)

    really frustrating..

    Aaron

    Aaron Propst, May 22, 2004
  4. Pete Bennett

    C. Eastwood Guest

    I used to have this problem with the 'MaxiMiser' battery gauge occasionally.
    You can try turning it off. After I downloaded the various updates from IBM
    the problem went away. (I don't recall how I isolated the problem to this
    since my symptoms were same as yours.)

    CE

    C. Eastwood, May 22, 2004
  5. Pete Bennett

    Pete Bennett Guest

    Thanks for the replies folks. I thought that there might be a fix for it
    from
    IBM, but the IBM Update Connector 5.3 comes up, tries to get a connection
    and just says (every time I've tried it, over dial-up and over my LAN/ADSL)
    "An error ocurred while gathering information about your machine, please
    contact the IBM HelpCenter."
    after clicking on the "Check for Updates" button.
    Sheesh. I'll try the process explorer and then look for specific downloads
    and
    patches in the area pointed to by the process explorer.

    Pete.

    Pete Bennett, May 24, 2004
  6. Pete Bennett

    jake Guest

    make sure it's not DLA or Bluetooth authenication .. those are the two most
    common causes of runddl hogging cpu ..

    if you dont use DLA or know what it is .. uninstall it .. same with
    bluetooth ..

    jake, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Pete Bennett

    Pete Bennett Guest

    Jake,

    process explorer says that the command line for the CPU hog is: -
    "C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe"
    C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor

    So I think I need to find the power monitor and update it again, or just
    turn it off.

    I use bluetooth with my Motorola V600 phone when I'm on the move.

    I'll find out what DLA is, and drop it if I don't need it.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Pete.

    Pete Bennett, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Pete Bennett

    Jake Guest

    Yes .. I'd update my power management drivers .. sounds like a problem in
    the current one and not just a config issue ..

    DLA is part of the software that comes with CDR/RW drives .. and IBM Record
    Now .. it's for using a cdrw disk like a floppy .. drop/drag files to cd
    icon ..

    only draw back is that to use on a diff comp .. it has to have DLA as well
    ... kind of defeats purpose to me ..

    bottom line - it uses rundll.exe as well ..

    Jake, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Pete Bennett

    Chip Orange Guest

    you could try the free eval copy of autopilot from sunbelt software; it's
    supposed to detect conditions like this in xp and reconfigure it on the fly
    to increase overall throughput.

    Chip Orange, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Pete Bennett

    Chip Orange Guest

    That's not been my experience at all, nor can I find any documentation that
    says that.

    I routinely use DLA to write cdrw disks on my A31 to take to work and use on
    our generic desktops.

    Chip Orange, Sep 4, 2004