    the 131gig

    Help much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Griff, Oct 8, 2008

  2. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Thanks.

    Do you know if I would need SP1, 2 or 3 to allow a 500gig disk.

    I had a fully working 250gig disk before but think I used an old Windows 95
    floppy to boot from which must have worked?

    Griff, Oct 8, 2008

  3. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Thanks William.
    Yes, it was an OEM drive with no other disk.
    I have always fdisked from a Windows 95 floppy in the past and seem to think
    that that worked with my previous 250gb drive.
    Might try as you say before purchasing XP SP2 or higher.
    Can you tell me have to arrive at DOS mode from boot disk?
    I know how one XP has loaded but assume this is before loading?
    Am used to fdisking the old way.
    Cheers.

    Griff, Oct 8, 2008
  4. Griff

    Rotten Ronny Guest

    Yea, and far more complicated than he needs to do. All he has to do is
    install SP1, 2 or 3 and then go to disk management and create a second
    partition with the rest of the HDD to get full use of the HDD. Yes, he will
    now have two partitions but that is actually a benefit and not a detriment.
    The OS can stay on the partition already created.

    Rotten Ronny, Oct 11, 2008
  5. Griff

    Rotten Ronny Guest

    Don't use Win95 fdisk for modern OS like XP and Vista. Either use a
    contemporary 3rd party partitioning tool like Acronis Disk Director or use
    the tools that came with the OS. Vista marks disks differently than XP does
    even.

    Rotten Ronny, Oct 11, 2008