    minutes to fully load everything from boot. I would be grateful of any ideas
    anyone may have. Thanks again.
    Julian

    PompeyRodney, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Julian,

    Eight minutes? It sounds like you may very well have a virus on your
    system - either that or your hardware is about to fail.

    I'd strongly suggest that you get a copy of Norton AntiVirus (or whatever
    brand suits your fancy) and scan your system. Boot from the CD to do the
    "emergency" scan.

    If that turns up nothing then you may be forced to re-install the O/S. Did
    you, by any chance, install XP Pro as an upgrade to a previous O/S?

    -bruce

    Bruce W. Roeser, Feb 2, 2004

  3. PompeyRodney

    blah Guest

    open

    You don't mention what types of drives you have connected or how they are
    connected. Is it a 7200rpm drive? How much free space is there? Have you
    tried disconnecting all the other IDE devices except the hard drive? Have
    you run a test on the hard drive to find out what transfer rate you're
    getting?

    Rob

    blah, Feb 4, 2004
  4. One thought that leaps to mind, is that if a network card is set to use
    DHCP, and is not connected, you can get a minute or two delay, ending
    eventually with a 'timeout'. This can result in ludicrous boot delays, and
    some delays when first opening explorer.
    Does your drive support SMART?. If so, download a tool to interrogate the
    SMART data, and see if the HD is reporting an error. You could have an
    incipient HD failure, that is making the drive perform appallingly. The 'for
    a while now', suggests it could be a problem of this sort...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Feb 4, 2004
  5. PompeyRodney

    PompeyRodney Guest

    Hi Roger
    Thanks for your reply I will do as you suggested and let you know how things
    go, thanks again.
    Regards
    Julian

    PompeyRodney, Feb 8, 2004