XP Pro: 90% of applications go into 'not responding' state

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Jason, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hi all,

    I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
    90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
    the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
    applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
    minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
    to start troubleshooting.

    Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
    blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.

    My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
    1 (mirrored pair).

    Please help!!!

    Thanks in advance,

    Jason

    Jason, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Jason

    Mark BR Guest

    Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a bad
    CD in the drive.

    Mark BR

    Mark BR, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Jason

    rstlne Guest

    I have the same problem with Adobe Reader (verry common for me)..
    I am using an AXP and dont have the amd64 but to be honest, I think that the
    problem "with the program" could easly happen on any system (or maybee just
    AXP based ones)..
    List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
    have registry hacks that will help them run better.

    rstlne, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Applications that go into this state from memory...

    Internet Explorer
    Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
    Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
    Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)

    but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
    at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
    goes into this state.

    If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
    hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
    traffic.

    I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
    this state then the it will hang (after it starts).

    Jason, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Jason

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Jason, have you tried a blaster removal tool?
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 11, 2004
  6. Jason

    JasonB Guest

    Have you tried running a spyware detector application like WebSweeper or
    something like Ad-Aware? You *might* be infected with a trojan or
    spyware application that kicks in every so often taking CPU time away
    from other legitimate applications.

    Free Spyware checker - must be online for this to run
    http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

    Link to Lavasoft's Ad-Aware personal edition - free for personal use

    Hope this helps!

    JasonB, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Jason

    Jamco Guest

    have you tried disconnecting your internet connection?

    Jamco, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Well after some experimenting I think it is Yahoo Messenger that is
    causing the issue. Anyone seen similar?

    Jason, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Jason

    Jason Guest

    No it isn't Yahoo Messenger, that must have been a coincedence. It
    just happened on Messenger wasn't running. Still wondering what is
    causing this!

    Jason, Aug 11, 2004
  10. Jason

    Adam Guest

    Probably anti-virus hogging all resources. This has happened to me a
    lot. Check your processes when this happens and see if your
    anti-virus is taking over much of the memory.

    Adam, Aug 11, 2004
  11. | (Jason) wrote in message
    | > Applications that go into this state from memory...
    | >
    | > Internet Explorer
    | > Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
    | > Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
    | > Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)
    | >

    | > but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
    | > at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
    | > goes into this state.
    | >
    | > If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
    | > hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
    | > traffic.
    | >
    | > I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
    | > this state then the it will hang (after it starts).

    RAID

    | > > Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have
    a bad
    | > > CD in the drive.
    | > >
    | > > Mark BR
    |

    | Probably anti-virus hogging all resources. This has happened to me a
    | lot. Check your processes when this happens and see if your
    | anti-virus is taking over much of the memory.

    He already said "| > If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are

    Jason Cothran, Aug 11, 2004
  12. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hope I am not tempting fate by writing this but after upgrading to SP2
    the issue has disappeared. No more 'not responding'
    messages...Yippeee!!!!

    Jason, Aug 21, 2004