XP Pro CHKDSK 5 hours and counting

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by AJ, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. AJ

    AJ Guest

    Only box out of 10 with XP is nothing but trouble. Running SP1 since 2
    hosed my internal WiFi. Slow as my Pee200 on almost everything.
    Portege 2000
    Pee3 750
    512MB RAM
    20MB HDD
    System kept restarting dozens of times. Said Winlogon.exe damaged. Not
    a real file. Check against system files. Did the same thing in safe
    mode. Got it going to run CHKDSK. Found 3-4 bad sectors and moved
    data. Took over 5 hours to get to:
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5) 74% completed.
    Has been stuck at 74% for hours. Have restarted goes through the other
    steps in about 20 minutes and still gets stuck there. I haven't added
    any programs lately and the notebook gets very light use. I've never
    had scandisk lockup so I don't see how I can do anything else until
    this is fixed. Repeairing XP over a damaged install seems like a waste
    of time. I read to uncheck the lower box that gives advanced fixing
    but looks like it will just leave data errors on the disk. Any help
    much appreciated.

    AJ, Sep 27, 2003