XP Pro hangs on hibernate or suspend with GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Outlook User, May 15, 2004.

  1. Outlook User

    Outlook User Guest

    I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on
    my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with
    all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers
    available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could
    hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
    failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely
    fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to
    suspend" screen.

    The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).

    I am running in single channel mode.

    The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    Outlook User, May 15, 2004

  2. I have exactly the same set up with exactly the same problem. I assumed it
    was something I'd done wrong, but on hearing your problem it has me
    thinking, so 'ill look into it further and try and post a solution if I find
    one.

    7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
    XP 2800+
    1 x 512mb Kingston 400
    2 X 120gb Raid 0
    XP fully Patched
    Nec 1300A DVD Writer
    Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
    Bios FD

    I'd also be very interested if anyone else has this problem and more
    importantly a solution.

    Thanks

    Paul.

    New.Blueyonder, May 16, 2004

  3. Outlook User

    Dimitris Guest

    Maybe the graphic card drivers dont cooperate well with your new mobo.
    Remove the graphic card drivers, boot in winxp using vga mode drivers
    and see if suspend and/or hibernate work.

    Also the power supply unit may not supply correct the standby voltage.
    Check the voltages.

    Post detail specification of your machine(including how many watt is
    your PSU).

    New.Blueyonder, May 16, 2004
  5. MY PSU Is 550 Watts, with more than enough current for this mobo.

    7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2.0)
    XP 2800+
    1 x 512mb Kingston 400
    2 X 120gb Raid 0
    XP fully Patched
    Nec 1300A DVD Writer
    Radeon 9200 SE 128Mb
    550 Watts PSU

    New.Blueyonder, May 16, 2004
  6. Outlook User

    Dimitris Guest

    Before troubleshooting for suspend mode, check if you can have your
    monitor turned off by software . Put a turn off monitor time in the
    power options in the control panel and check to see if winxp is able
    to shut the monitor, and then to come back by a key press or mouse
    move. (I am not talking about screensaver) . If this doesnt work then
    it is a graphic card problem. However if it does work, then you i see
    two possible causes:
    1) Bios misconfiguration or problem(except power management option
    check if APIC is enabled), or
    2) PSU though 550w doesnt supply correct standby voltage. Whats the
    brand of the psu?
    Something tells me that you ll have to wait either for a bios update
    or for a nvidia chipset driver update afterall.

    Dimitris, May 16, 2004
  7. Outlook User

    Outlook User Guest

    Ok. I tried an experiment that one of you suggested. Booted into VGA
    mode. Tried suspend and hibernate. Results:

    Suspended sucessfully from VGA mode. Resumed from suspend, but video
    was very corrupted.

    Hibernated and restored successfully from VGA mode.

    Tried installing the latest WHQL certified video drivers from NVidia,
    and suspending again in regular mode. System hung again.

    Some of you asked about my configuration:

    GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)
    Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro video card
    Netgear FA213 ethernet
    Soundblaster Live! XGamer sound card
    2 identical WD 8 MB 7200 RPM ATA100 IDE drives in mirrored RAID
    configuration
    TDK CD RW
    Pioneer DVD ROM drive
    512 MB Kingston Single channel DDR266 RAM (2 sticks of 256 each), in
    RAM slots 1 and 2 (single channel mode)

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    Outlook User, May 16, 2004
  8. Outlook User

    GTS Guest

    Only times I have had problems with STR were always driver related. I had an
    old Trust sound card that prevented STR from working properly (would not
    wake up), and the most mysterious was after upgrading to XP pro- It took me
    ages to find what was wrong but it turned out to be the WDM driver for my
    Hauppage TV card. Even though the device was not in use when suspending it
    either would not wake or would wake with corrupted video. Installing the
    latest WDM driver from Hauppage solved the problem.
    Graham

    GTS, May 16, 2004
  9. Outlook User

    Dimitris Guest

    The Vga mode was my suggestion . I like to get the credit for
    success(not absolute success though). Anyway, you forgot to mention
    your PSU power. Nevertheless i tend to believe it is something that
    will be corrected with nvidia driver updates either for the
    motherboard chipset or for the graphic card. I would suggest you go
    buy a more recent video card, something like a Radeon 9200 128mb, or a
    geforce 5200 128mb if you dont like changing camps(from nVidia to
    ATi). Offcourse you could argue that the other guy with an ATi had
    exactly the same problem. Taking that into mind my conclusion is that
    AGP bus may doesnt behave correctly during suspend process..
    Install the drivers for the graphic card but disable AGP bus, using
    either directx diag(dxdiag.exe) or using Powerstrip fron entech. Then
    try to suspend again. I believe it will work, and the perfomance hit
    wont be so big in a Geforce2.
    Try to search the forums at www.nvnews.net for similar problems. There
    might be a better solution there.

    Dimitris, May 16, 2004
  10. Dimitris wrote:
    || Ok. I tried an experiment that one of you suggested. Booted into
    || VGA mode. Tried suspend and hibernate. Results:
    <SNIP>
    | The Vga mode was my suggestion . I like to get the credit for
    | success(not absolute success though). Anyway,

    <blah blah blah>

    You dumb ****.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Abu al Khayr Rose, May 16, 2004
  11. Outlook User

    jpsga Guest

    Wait a minuet, I use the ATI 9200 for VGA card and the S3 suspend works very
    well 7N400. I does complain if I leave a CD in the CD-RW drive.
    JPS

    jpsga, May 17, 2004
  12. Outlook User

    Outlook User Guest

    My PSU is a 365 watt Enermax Whisper. Please note that I had no
    problem with hibernate before the MB switch, though suspend didn't
    work on the old motherboard (a Gigabyte 7VRXP) either.

    Michael

    Outlook User, May 23, 2004
  13. Outlook User

    Outlook User Guest

    Also, my monitor can (and does) go into low power mode with no
    problem. APIC is set for level 3 (suspend to RAM).

    Outlook User, May 23, 2004
  14. Outlook User

    relic Guest

    You'd be better off setting the BIOS back to its defaults. Customizing them
    can mess up the XP installation (i.e., PnP OS).

    relic, May 23, 2004
  15. Outlook User

    SKJoy2001

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Experiencing exactly the same trouble;

    GA-P35-DQ6, BIOS version F7
    Intel Core 2 Duo, E6750 at 2.66GHz
    Transcend DDR 2, 1066MHz, 1 x 2 GB
    ATI Radeon 550X
    ThermalTake 450Watt PSU
    Pinnacle PCTV Rave

    Windows XP Professional with SP3
    All Gigabyte drivers installed

    Passed the monitor shutdown test. Please help.

    SKJoy2001, May 11, 2008
  16. Outlook User

    SKJoy2001

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    I have 2 RAM modules in double channel interleaved.

    SKJoy2001, May 11, 2008