XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Holy Crikey, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Holy Crikey

    Holy Crikey Guest

    Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
    proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
    me what type of computer I have:
    ACPI multiprocessor PC
    ACPI uniprocessor PC
    ACPI PC
    Compaq something (which it isn't)
    SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
    SMP uniprocessor PC
    Standard PC
    Other

    I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
    menu during an installation process.

    I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
    667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
    Thanks.

    Holy Crikey, Dec 6, 2006

  2. ACPI PC

    I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
    Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
    Multi or uni...

    Standard PC will not work with your new board, with all available
    devices ON. (USB's, SATA, ATA, Sound, LAN, etc...)
    You'll get more devices on the same IRQ, lags and crashes.
    ACPI turns your XT/AT based PC to 31 IRQ's and more.. enough for any
    Board with much onboard features/devices.
    Allthough, Standard PC is the fastest config for an iP586/686. No IRq
    sharing, every device have its own IRQ (0-15), 16IRQ's. But you are
    limited to IRQ 9-12 (max. 4 devices, beside the standard fix-IRQ's,
    maybe 5....)

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Holy Crikey

    Holy Crikey Guest

    Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
    Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose ACPI
    PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
    multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
    whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm that
    that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system? Many
    thanks.

    Holy Crikey, Dec 7, 2006
  4. Holy Crikey

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo you
    want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so ACPI
    multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.

    DRS, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Hi DRS!

    Yeh, it's possible that a real dual CPU needs an extra invitation by
    choosing the MultiCPU firstly :)

    Otherwise NT (as I know), always starts the multi-kernel while setup.

    Crikey... :), (I knew I could write it one time)

    he should watch after the finished setup, if the multi-kernel is
    installed, somewhere in Device Manager. Wether 'ACPI PC' or 'ACPI
    Multi' chosen....
    Single CPU is surely false. Choosing 'ACPI PC' could lead to a
    single-core setup, but I am not sure about. It's also possible that
    choosing Multi makes troubles, or that 'ACPI PC' and 'Multi ACPI' set
    XP up the same, at the end.

    I guess Single is for Single, Multi is explicitely Multi and 'ACPI PC'
    looks self what is really installed. IMO the best choice!!!
    Hyperthreading?? and so on... who knows? Former Dual CPU's are not the
    same as today dual- and dual core -CPU's.

    Service Pack 2... etc...

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Dec 7, 2006
  6. A women I know (engineer, becoming...), managed to install NT4_WS and
    after setup the MultiCPU Kernel have not changed to UniCPU operation.
    Don't ask me how she could manage such :) [P166, P54C-Pentium w/o MMX,
    ~1996]

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Dec 7, 2006
  7. It is very 'odd' indeed, to be presented with such a menu. I remember
    having this a while ago, with XP server, when installing on a machine with
    a slightly unusual BIOS. It suggests that XP's autodetection is failing.
    Verify that ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. It might be that XP is seeing
    that this 'ought' to be an ACPI machine, but is finding it is disabled in
    the BIOS, and hence the list.
    The correct setting for a Core2 Duo, is 'ACPI multiprocessor PC', and this
    is the default from an automatic install. It'll also work using 'SMP
    multiprocessor PC', but without most of the power management features.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Dec 7, 2006
  8. Holy Crikey

    Rip RocK Guest

    Thanks for that bit of tip to confirm whether the uniprocessor was
    chosen or multiprocessor was and looking in my System properties, the
    multiprocessor does show up.

    Rip RocK, Dec 11, 2006