XP re-install on Dell Inspiration

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Rich Greenberg, Jul 4, 2011.

  1. Please read to the end. Complex problem, I tried to be concise.

    My wife gave my [step] daughter a new Dell laptop.

    The daughter gave my wife her older Dell Inspiration 600m in return
    enabling my wife to scrap an older laptop that was failing. The
    Inspiration had a MS sticker on the bottom for XP home with a serial
    number. The laptop had XP Pro installed by daughters university IT.
    Using Keyfinder, I got the s/n from the XP Pro install. Both wireless
    and the ethernet port work with this XP Pro.

    Because there is a LOT of university cruft installed, it runs very slow
    and I can't get it to access my network printer. I swapped hard drives
    and installed XP Pro from a CD with sp3 integrated. The first glitch
    was that it wouldn't accept the s/n from the XP install, so I used the
    s/n that had come with the install disk when I bought it. Install
    completed. Second glitch was that it couldn't find the wireless,
    ethernet, or modem ports.

    I am guessing that I need some Dell specific install material. What am
    I looking for? On Ebay, I find Item number: 320535502099, "Dell
    Inspiron Drivers Recovery Restore Disk for XP/2000
    === ALL MODELS ===". Is that what I need, or if not what?

    Rich Greenberg, Jul 4, 2011

  2. Rich Greenberg

    BillW50 Guest

    Sure that would work, but you can get the correct drivers directly from
    Dell's website for free (and no waiting either). ;-)

    BillW50, Jul 4, 2011

  3. Rich Greenberg

    Bob Villa Guest

    Inspiron 600m Drivers/Downloads