XP setting laptop drive to UDMA-2, should be UDMA-5 -- ideas?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Guest, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I put a new drive (Hitachi 7K60) in my Thinkpad A31's Ultrabay,
    and noticed that Windows XP has set it to Ultra DMA Mode 2, whereas
    the same model drive, in the main drive, is set to UDMA Mode 5.

    Does anyone know how I can force XP to use UDMA Mode 5 on the second
    drive? Or is there something about my laptop setup that requires
    it be at UDMA Mode 2?

    When I first installed it, I was getting errors on the drive, but I think
    they were due to formatting and partition table problems, not the drive
    itself.

    I haven't jumpered the drives, so they are both set to "master".
    Supposedly, the second drive is "Secondary Master", so that ought
    to be okay. XP itself calls it the Secondary Master. However,
    the BIOS thinks it's Primary Slave; anyone know of why this
    discrepancy might exist?

    I suppose I should just run a drive fitness test on it from DOS.

    For Thinkpad people out there, does anyone know if the drive in
    the Ultrabay is always going to be run at ATA-33 as opposed
    to ATA-100 in the primary location?

    I need to put back my older drive in the Ultrabay and see if the
    same thing is occurring, or if ZipZoomFly sold me a defective drive.

    - Tim

    Guest, Oct 15, 2004