[XP SP2 - GeForce2 GTS - 66.93 driver] Why OpenGL does not work correctly ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by For Fun, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. For Fun

    For Fun Guest

    Hi everybody,

    Here are my system features :

    OS: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 version 2600 (Windows XP)
    CPU: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1399 MHz
    RAM: 256 Mo
    MB: MSI KT266 PRO (MS-6380)
    GA: Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 64 Mo

    In the basic XP/SP2 configuration, I had no graphic problems, all the XP
    OpenGL-based screen-savers are working fine.

    I installed the last nVidia 66.93 driver and then OpenGL XP screen-savers
    stopped working :

    + "3D Objects" only gives a black screen.
    + "Flying Objects" displays in Black and White.
    + "3D Text" displays in Black and White.

    but

    + "3D Pipes" is working fine !

    I decided to uninstall the 66.93 driver and install the older 44.03 nVidia
    driver instead ... and it works !

    I think there is something wrong with the new 66.93 nVidia driver.

    For Fun, Dec 29, 2004

  2. For Fun

    DaveL Guest

    The moral is "if it works, don't fix it".

    DaveL

    DaveL, Dec 29, 2004

  3. For Fun

    First of One Guest

    And you would be correct. However, if the 66.93 drivers give you better
    performance/compatibility in GAMES, it's time to weigh your options.

    Screensavers only load when you AREN'T using the computer. Is there a need
    for pretty graphics.

    First of One, Dec 29, 2004
  4. For Fun

    my.name Guest

    I don't share your point of view.

    If screen-savers don't work correctly, this is because of a deeper problem.
    Even if I am not interested in having pretty screen-savers, I am pretty
    sure that there is a problem with the OpenGL management.

    Anyway, if the problem happens here, it can occur in a game or somewhere
    else.

    I hope nVidia people will read my mail and see what can be wrong in between
    my configuration and the driver.

    my.name, Dec 30, 2004
  5. For Fun

    First of One Guest

    No driver will be compatible with all programs (though some are closer than
    others). Did you try the 66.93 drivers with any OpenGL games?

    First of One, Dec 31, 2004