XP SP2 starts only after many no-start cycles (T20)

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Larry Mehl, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Larry Mehl

    Larry Mehl Guest

    Hello --

    After an unsuccessful cold boot, I see many cycles of the following screens
    before XP starts. It sometimes takes an hour for XP to start.

    [a]
    - Blue screen containing 0x00... messages are different for each cycle
    - IBM logo
    - list of starting options (including "...Last Good Configuration...") on
    black screen
    - Windows logo
    - repeat at [a]

    Before installing SP2 the blue screen would remain on the display. It now
    displays for only a few seconds.

    Does this "cycle" problem sound familiar to anyone? Can you help me resolve
    it?

    In the meantime I leave the machine running all the time.

    Is XP SP2 known to run successfully on a T20?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Larry Mehl

    Larry Mehl, Jul 5, 2006

  2. I cannot help with your specific issues, but can attest that XP Pro SP2 runs
    quite smoothly on a T20. (it's a 2647-RRE if memory serves)

    Art

    Arthur Shapiro, Jul 5, 2006

  3. Larry Mehl

    Larry Mehl Guest