    any special configuration?

    thanks.
    man

    ichmc, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Windows Product Activation?

    Identical to any other flavour of Windows XP.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Jan 14, 2005

  3. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    The Original Poster may be referring to the WiFi standard, for which the
    same answer, "Identical to any other flavour of Windows XP" should apply.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 14, 2005
  4. ichmc

    Chris H. Guest

    Windows XP Pro, the operating system supports Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA),
    as long as your wireless also does. The present crop of wireless devices in
    the Tablet PCs will give you further encryption than just WEP.

    Chris H., Jan 14, 2005
  5. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Systems supporting 802.11g typically support WPA, systems supporting only
    802.11b typically do not support WPA. I don't know if this is a firm rule
    or just a rule of thumb.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 14, 2005
  6. ichmc

    Chris H. Guest

    Correct, but 802.11b/g devices came along on Tablets about the same time as
    the Centrino chips. I've got an original Acer C100 here which will only do
    802.11b and WEP. :cool:

    Chris H., Jan 14, 2005
  7. Wasn't sure - there are so many computer-related WPAs but I went with
    the most popular on Google.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Jan 14, 2005
  8. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I wasn't sure either. We still don't know which WPA was referred to.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 15, 2005
  9. Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE, Jan 15, 2005
  10. ichmc

    Robb Edge Guest

    The Compaq TC1000 does WPA, if you get an update from HP websitePity its
    only 802.11b though

    Robb Edge, Jan 17, 2005
  11. ichmc

    Alex Nichol Guest

    Depends on the hardware. WPA needs an 801.11g adapter - my Toshiba 3500
    only has 11b

    Alex Nichol, Jan 18, 2005
  12. Alex, my Motion 1300 has an Intel 802.11b adapter that works fine with
    WPA. So does a Netgear MA521 802.11b PCMCIA adapter.

    WPA doesn't require 802.11g.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jan 18, 2005
  14. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I've tried to enable WPA on a Motion Computing M1300 without success on two
    different WiFi networks, both having other computers using WPA successfully.
    On one of the networks I had been the one to set up an 802.11g computer
    using WPA but WPA did not seem to work for the M1300.

    Any special hints? Can any 802.11b computer with Windows XP use WPA? One
    seems to get better range with WPA and it would be nice to switch back to
    WPA if we could get both the M1300 and an IBM ThinkPad using WPA.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 18, 2005
  15. Windows XP Service Pack 2 has built-in support for WPA. If your
    computer has an earlier version, WPA support would have to come from
    the network adapter software (firmware, driver, wireless utility).

    In my experience, some 802.11b adapters can use WPA, and some can't.
    My M1300 has an "Intel(R) Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter".
    After installing SP2, I didn't have to do anything special to make WPA
    work.

    WPA is just an encryption method, so I don't see how it can give
    better range. New and improved adapter firmware that includes WPA
    might give better range.

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jan 18, 2005
  16. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I have the same adapter on my M1300 and have SP2 installed; I don't know why
    it didn't work.
    I was getting mixed up. The better range was on an 802.11g adapter; the
    better range was from the adapter, not the encryption method.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 18, 2005
  17. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    They list 5 drivers under Wireless Drivers, some of which are still the
    original factory install. If I have an "Intel(R) Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B
    Mini PCI Adapter" which ones do I need to update?

    Intel Proset 7.1.3 07/13/04 27,949K zip
    Intel Proset Sebring 4.1 08/19/03 19,277K README Intel
    PROSet Sebring 4.1
    Intel ProSet 2100 4.011 05/28/03 140,324K zip original factory
    install
    Broadcom 3-30-15-0 B/G 12/08/03 3,409K original factory
    install
    Broadcom 3.60.7 B/G 08/02/04 4,788K Current Release

    Mickey Segal, Jan 19, 2005
  18. ichmc

    Chris H. Guest

    If you're running the Intel chipset, not Broadcom, I'd go for the 7.13.
    But, I don't have the time at the moment to check my 1300, it seems to me I
    did the 4.1 first, then updated that. I did the update when it first came
    out, so that probably was the order.

    Chris H., Jan 19, 2005
  19. ichmc

    Mickey Segal Guest

    It seems I have a more recent driver (7.2.0.0) than Motion Computing offers
    (7.1.3) so it is not clear what is going on. I guess we might as well stick
    with the current WEP if we can't get WPA to work.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 19, 2005
  20. ichmc

    Chris H. Guest

    It could be you've got an early chipset or something which actually doesn't
    support WPA, Mickey, even with a software update. Got me baffled. :cool:

    Chris H., Jan 19, 2005