    Can anyone suggest why its so slow ?, would more memory fix it or should I

    TIA
    Chris

    Chris & Patsy, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Chris & Patsy

    Steve Guest

    Chris & Patsy wrote:

    > I've had my K7SEM running quite happily for the last couple of years with
    > MS ME. I've upgraded to XP (SP2) and its incredibly slow, it takes ages to
    > boot, close down or run anything.
    >
    > It has a soldered in 1200 MHz Duron and 128M RAM, also running Norton
    > Antivirus 2005.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest why its so slow ?, would more memory fix it or should I
    >
    > TIA
    > Chris

    I would suggest you need more RAM, say a minimum of 256 megs...also NAV is a
    notoriuus system hog on a low spec system. Trying the Free AVG 7 software
    from Grisoft might help
    --
    regards
    Steve

    Steve, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Chris & Patsy

    EEE Guest

    Chris & Patsy wrote:
    > I've had my K7SEM running quite happily for the last couple of years with MS
    > ME. I've upgraded to XP (SP2) and its incredibly slow, it takes ages to
    > boot, close down or run anything.
    >
    > It has a soldered in 1200 MHz Duron and 128M RAM, also running Norton
    > Antivirus 2005.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest why its so slow ?, would more memory fix it or should I
    >
    > TIA
    > Chris

    1) More memory, at least 256MB

    2) Turn off the System Restore feature. It can be found in the control
    panel under the System icon.

    EEE, Apr 15, 2005
  4. "EEE" <> wrote in message
    > Chris & Patsy wrote:
    >> I've had my K7SEM running quite happily for the last couple of years with
    >> MS ME. I've upgraded to XP (SP2) and its incredibly slow, it takes ages
    >> to boot, close down or run anything.
    >>
    >> It has a soldered in 1200 MHz Duron and 128M RAM, also running Norton
    >> Antivirus 2005.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest why its so slow ?, would more memory fix it or should
    >> I go back to ME ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Chris
    >>

    > 1) More memory, at least 256MB
    >
    > 2) Turn off the System Restore feature. It can be found in the control
    > panel under the System icon.

    thanks for replies, looks like I'll be ordering some extra memory ! Just
    got to open it up to find out what was fitted, unfortunately can't find a
    copy of my original order. Is it wise to mix types/manufacturers of SDRAM ?

    Chris

    Chris & Patsy, Apr 16, 2005