XP wallpaper: NVIDIA GeForce 6800GS 512MB AGP

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Mark Findlay, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Mark Findlay

    Mark Findlay Guest

    I just installed an NVIDIA GeForce 6800GS 512MB AGP on my XP Professional
    computer and the XP installed Wallpaper (Red moon desert) is now sort of
    blotchy.

    I can't imagine how an advanced card like the 6800GS could have a problem
    with displaying a XP-provided wallpaper.

    I am running in 1268x1024, 75Hz refresh rate, and no matter how I tweak the
    NVidia display properties I can't seem the get a smooth gradient in the blue
    sky background. The blue sky background appears in small square chunks. You
    can see an example here:
    http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/graphics/general/6800GS_screenshot.gif

    Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem they might be able
    to assist a video beginner with?

    Thanks!
    Mark

    Mark Findlay, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Mark Findlay

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Are you running your desktop in 32bit color? Are you using a crappy LCD
    panel? Is that the original uncompressed image? I believe the original
    wallpapers are bitmaps, not gifs.

    Your hardware is fine, either the source image is dithered or you have a
    driver setting set improperly. Good luck!

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Mark Findlay

    David Vair Guest

    What type of monitor do you have? That seems like an odd resolution unless its a typo.

    David Vair, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Mark Findlay

    Geoff Guest

    set 32 bit colour ?
    fix your drivers ?

    Geoff, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Mark Findlay

    First of One Guest

    1. First off, that screenshot you took was saved in GIF. GIF is capable of
    only 256 colors; you'll get "banding" regardless. It is not a true
    representation of the onscreen image.

    2. Like others said, make sure you are running in 32-bit color. Does the
    blotchiness remain after a couple of reboots?

    3. The wallpaper file is 800x600. If you stretch it to 1268x1024 (or is it
    1280x1024?) on an LCD with Windows' built-in wallpaper stretch function, it
    may look bad. Try resizing the BMP file to your desktop resolution with
    bicubic resampling, using a proper photo-editing program like Paint Shop Pro
    or Photoshop, and do not reduce the color depth.

    4. What monitor are you using? Some LCDs are capable of only 6-bit color
    gradient, so you end up with effectively 18-bit color.

    First of One, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Mark Findlay

    Mark Findlay Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the fantastic and helpful responses!

    I am running in 32bit, and have a Dell Ultrasharp 17in 1750FP monitor. I am
    assuming the problem is with the image itself based on the replies to my
    original post, and the fact that others with similar monitors but different
    video cards have seen the same effect for that particular wallpaper. I just
    wanted to make sure I had my video card set up appropriately, and think I
    may, but there are other applications that I view where the splash screen
    shows a grainy effect - such as when I start up Microsoft Visual Studio.NET.
    It shows its splash screen with a rather 'dot'-y look to it instead of a
    nice smooth look I used to get with my old 64MB card.

    I have used the NVidia control panel to set all options to their very
    highest, assuming that would give me the best image display. I hope that's
    not a naive approach, but I figure that if the option is available I would
    choose it. Hopefully I don't need to be concerned with one option canceling
    out the others(?)

    Thanks!
    Mark

    Mark Findlay, Dec 17, 2006
  7. Mark Findlay

    Geoff Guest

    are you sure the driver is working
    also posting 256 colour gif's isn't going to help much mmm (i just noticed
    it's a gif and not a jpg)

    Geoff, Dec 20, 2006