    get past the black boot up screens. all it does is constantly restart. I
    have tried safe mode and it still does the same. I put the hard drive back
    in my old pc and it starts fine. am I missing something?

    madmurg, Dec 24, 2003

  2. madmurg

    Kev Guest

    Yep.............
    no way will it work unless you reinstall windows and everything.
    The HD has windows set up for the other board and things.
    You cannot expect and should not expect to be able to swap motherboards and
    have it work.
    I learnt that a long time ago.

    Kev, Dec 24, 2003

  3. madmurg

    Ghislain Guest

    I have switched between platforms several times without reinstalling.
    MergeIDE has done the trick for me with various motherboards or systems.

    Ghislain, Dec 24, 2003
  4. madmurg

    Hamblo Guest

    you could try a repair but i would definately do a fresh install

    Hamblo, Dec 24, 2003
  5. madmurg

    Kev Guest

    Like I said, that's the only way.
    Messing about with this prog or that prog is not a good way as windows had
    all the bits that were relevant to the board at the time.
    Bits are left hanging about if you mess about and don't re install.

    Kev, Dec 24, 2003
  6. madmurg

    John Guest

    Do you have any idea what you are talking about?? What "bits" are left
    hanging? Boot from the installation XP disc. Do a repair. It will
    reinstall all the necessary stuff required to run on the new board. The
    real issue here is that the IDE controller is different from one board
    to the next. I have had luck when going from one ASUS board with an
    Intel chipset to another ASUS board with a similar Intel chipset but
    more often than not I have had to do a repair and no bits were left
    hanging. If you don't know the answer please don't make one up just to
    show how smart (dumb) you are. You are not helping the guy with the
    problem. I have actually done what I am advocating. Have you?

    John, Dec 25, 2003
  7. madmurg

    Tim Guest

    Yes! John is correct. There are many people with odd "fixes" for this - I
    would rely on the documented method which is to run a repair.

    To do a repair:
    put the XP CD in,
    Go into the bios and check your boot order to boot off CD,
    make sure you F6 install any raid drivers (EG SATA etc.) you may need as per
    Mobo / Add in card documentation, then
    start an install -
    it will come up and say that an existing installation has been detected and
    asked if you want to do a repair.

    Then.... install the driver set for the new mobo and all other drivers in
    that order.

    *Always* re-install the most recent service pack if you do a repair and
    *Always* reapply any updates as they may have been turfed out.
    Don't try to run anything until you have done all of this.

    Most of this is a no-brainer - shove the CD in and watch the flashing
    lights.

    Doing a repair install re-runs the plug and play setup.
    You can even do a repair install from XP with no SP to XP SP1a.

    It should be the first thing you do when you boot up your new mobo. You can
    always run a memtest, but that doesn't touch the HDD.

    - Tim

    Tim, Dec 25, 2003
  8. madmurg

    kronk Guest

    TWAT

    kronk, Dec 25, 2003
  9. madmurg

    kronk Guest

    You are the dumb one

    kronk, Dec 25, 2003
  10. madmurg

    kronk Guest

    Knowall

    kronk, Dec 25, 2003
  11. madmurg

    John Guest

    What are you upset about? That you are not?

    John, Dec 25, 2003
  12. madmurg

    John Guest

    Takes one to know one.