    Are these temperature readings alright or should I install a case fan to
    help it. The system is only 3 weeks old. Thanks in advance.

    Anthony

    Anthony Harris, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Anthony Harris

    Ben Pope Guest

    Not the lowest system temps around... but I guess that depends on room temp.

    CPU idling 20°C above system is probably a tad high, a 9°C rise in temp
    under load is fine.
    A case fan should help reduce the system temp a little.

    A good thermal interface to the heatsink, or possibly a better heatsink
    (larger/copper etc) should help CPU temp.

    If the CPU temp is the diode temp, not the socket temp you are by no means
    in the danger zone and have no need to worry about the temps. If you wish
    to reduce them, you probably can.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Anthony Harris

    edddie Guest

    A little bit on the hot side really and during this summer I had to
    buy a new case with a couple of fans in the front for the intake one
    in the side and a big fan at the rear sucking out.
    All this makes the machine sound like a vac cleaner so I got a fan
    controller to turn the puppys down when the machine wasnt doing
    anything special like games or dvd rippin and stuff.
    they work a treat silence at last.
    should be alright now the weather is cooled down a bit your temps
    should come down to 49 full load and 32-35 system which is about right
    !!Eddie

    edddie, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Anthony Harris

    BF Guest

    My system temp is only 3c to 4c above room temp. I don't know what your room
    temp is but unless it is close to 90F in your room I think you need some
    case cooling. If it was that warm in the room I don't think I would be using
    the computer though.

    BF, Sep 27, 2003
  5. My system has an MSI mobo, Athlon XP2400, etc.

    My temps are similar to yours. With the room temp at 22C, the CPU idle
    temp is 55C, and reaches into the 60's when I'm workin' it, with the
    case temp running 35C (no load) to 40C. This is despite having the
    correct power supply type (2 fans - one above the CPU), along with 2
    case fans. Indeed, I've run the system with the case wide open, at 20C
    room temp, and the CPU temp doesn't drop much, if at all.

    The CPU has run "hot" since the day I got it, but apparently a BIOS
    update for my mobo reduces the reported temps by 10C or so. That tells
    me that the sensor isn't very accurate.

    What I'm getting at is that the temp sensors vary in quality and
    application - the only truly accurate test being bench equipment.

    Case fans are always a good idea, though, and make sure you've got the
    right power supply type. The bundled AMD cooler is fine, unless you
    plan to OC.

    Enter Name Here, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Anthony Harris

    S.Heenan Guest

    What is the ambient temperature ? If your case is as well ventilated as you
    say, perhaps the temp sensors are not very accurate. At minimum you want one
    front intake fan and one rear exhaust, not counting fans in the power supply
    or the CPU fan.

    S.Heenan, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Mines 42 at the momment.

    using a Vantec AeroFlow.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Oct 5, 2003
  8. Ive got a hole cut in the sid eof the case and a cardboard funnel
    connected to the cpu fan :)

    reduces the CPu temp by atleast 3 degress.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Oct 5, 2003