    this CPu on the NF7-S ? - If so what changes should be done ?

    Thanks.

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 29, 2003

  2. ZR

    Morgan Guest

    Made the changes in the BIOS, and the speed I get is 2 Mhz. that is
    I would think just a little faster than that with luck :)

    I think that my Spectrum 48k ran faster.

    Morgan, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Well, you should be able to get a lot more than 2Mhz :eek:)

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003
  4. ZR

    John Russell Guest

    This is one of those "Oh Dear" moments. Cutting the bridges is required on
    the 1.0/1.1 boards as 166mhz FSB cpu's don't overclock well at the defualt
    setting. Unfortunately i've seen reports that the reverse is true for the
    2.0 boards i.e. it's the 133fsb CPU's which don't overclock well and you
    have to make the bridge in order that appear like 166 FSB cpu's.

    John Russell, Sep 29, 2003
  5. No mods are required for the cpu on the NF7-S, the board unlocks it.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003
  6. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Thank you, but your input seems to contradict that of John...??

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Well, John is wrong. I run the Abit NF7-S and the Barton 2500.
    Try reading here, www.nforcershq.com
    all your questions shall be answered.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003
  8. ZR

    Morgan Guest

    John is not necessarily wrong there is just a great difference in peoples
    opinions on the value of cutting certain bridges and the possible fact of
    the revision of the Abit board and the way that it responded to that. I have
    read of countless posts of people who cut certain bridges on 333mhz CPU's so
    that they would 'become' a 266mhz type and had great successes on the
    earlier revision Abit boards, as well as other brands.
    http://tinyurl.com/p1lj
    Read the above as an example.
    As for his statement on the reverse being true in connecting certain bridges
    I have not read that but no doubt if you search long and hard enough you
    will find enough people to support either side of the argument.

    Your point about the Barton being unlocked by default on a Abit NF7-S is
    correct though.

    The OP's 'need' to do as he did is not valid for the Abit but might have
    been needed for the KT7A to run the CPU.

    What detriment, if any, that it means to the Abit board I do not know.

    Morgan, Sep 29, 2003
  9. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Lester - looking at the proposed web site is like looking for a needle
    in a H....

    But my question wasn't running the Barton 2500+ on the NF7-S. That
    would work. I am asking about the Barton 2500+ WITH the two cuts I
    have made alerady (L3-3 and L3-5), running on the NF7-S.

    ZR, Sep 29, 2003
  10. ZR

    John Russell Guest

    He wanted to know how fast he could run the thing and I was pointing out
    problems people had had running Barton's at high FSB's on the NF7-S, not
    about unlocking!
    You will find a lot of info on the site you mention about it.

    John Russell, Sep 29, 2003
  11. Ah, I see, my mistake, apologies.
    Nforcershq has a forum called nForum over on the left side under the main
    menu.
    Everything you need is there. Do a search.
    BTW, the cuts should be easily remedied with some conductive paint.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003
  12. ZR

    ZR Guest

    No problem.
    Do you have any suggestion for a specific conductive paint ??
    Thanks.

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 29, 2003
  13. ZR

    Alan Guest

    Hi John:

    I'm of the opinion that people have had quite a lot of success running the
    XP2500 at rather high FSB on the NF7-S. Perhaps I'm wrong, can you explain
    further?

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 29, 2003
  14. And as an afterthought, my 2500 is running 215x11.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003
  15. ZR

    rms Guest

    This is one of those "Oh Dear" moments. Cutting the bridges is required on
    This is false. I have a 1700+ (default 133) on a v2.0. At this setting
    it runs at 230fsb. I bridged the gap and it did boot at 166 default, but
    would go no higher than 220 or so, regardless of settings. Recutting the
    bridge, the fsb went right back to 230.

    rms

    rms, Sep 29, 2003
  16. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Can you provide some details on the method of
    "rebridging" that you used ? Condutive paint ? - which one etc. ??

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 29, 2003
  17. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Lester,

    Is any of your bridges cut ??

    If not - did you rebridge the cuts or are you running it as it came
    from the factory ?

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 29, 2003
  18. ZR

    John Russell Guest

    Just try the link given in other posts. Many peolpe have problems running
    their barton's at high FSB's on the 1.0/1.1 boards. This was first observed
    when people tried running the 166mhz Athlon's Tbred's at 200mhz, and the
    166mhz Barton's have the same problem, or should I say the boards have the
    same problem with the Barton's.
    Just because there is a problem dosn't mean there isn't a solution resulting
    in success. Blowing the L12 bridge makes the CPU appear as a 133mhz FSB cpu
    and miraculously you can overclock to 200mhz or more.
    Some overclocking forums are saying the reveres is true for the 2.0 boards.
    It's 133mhz cpu's which won't overclock much beyond 200 on the 2.0 boards.
    Making the L12 bridge turns these into 166mhz cpu's and allows them to
    overlclock the fsb well beyond 200.
    So if you get a Barton it's best to get a 2.0 board, which is problably all
    you can get form a retailer bit I bet a lot of 1.0/1.1 boards can had second
    hand as people upgrade.

    John Russell, Sep 29, 2003
  19. As I said, no modifications are needed with this cpu/mobo combination

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003
  20. I don't think you have much chance of getting an earlier revision board than
    V2.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 29, 2003