XP2500+ on the KT7A-RAID...please help !

Discussion in 'Abit' started by ZR, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Wes,

    I see that you are not only very knowledgable but also very helpful
    here !! (seriously).

    Need your advise please:

    Just bought and received an XP 2500+ Barton (from New Egg).

    a. It doesn't say on the blister package that it is "+" nor that
    it is Barton. Through the closed blister pack I see the CPU marked
    as: "AMD Athlon AXDA 2500DKV4D....etc". Is it indeed a "+" version of
    the XP 2500 ?

    b. I have a KT7A-RAID running a Thunderbird 900 Mhz. Want to
    replace that CPU with the newley arrived XP 2500+. Looked in your web
    site and got a bit confused with great (but too many for me...)
    details.
    - Can I just drop in the 2500+ into the CPU socket, change
    the coler (which came in the blister pack), and go on with my life ?
    Any changes necessary in the BIOS ??
    - If I want to run it faster, could you please step me
    through the "multiplier" process ? (please terat me as dumb...!!)

    Appreciate your help very much !!!!

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 15, 2003

  2. ZR

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes, but the default multiplier is only 11x.
    Necessary, probably not, but I'd at least change the multiplier to 12.5
    and check the rest of the settings.
    For access to the higher multipliers, you need to change the default
    multiplier from 11 to 13 on the cpu. This can be accomplished by cutting
    L3-3 and L3-5 bridges. After that it should boot at 20x100MHz fsb. For
    other options see Multip[lier cross reference in link below.

    Wes Newell, Sep 16, 2003

  3. ZR

    Selle Guest

    For access to the higher multipliers, you need to change the default
    Can you kindly direct me to a website with details on the cutting of L3-3
    and L3-5? Thanks WeS

    Selle, Sep 17, 2003
  4. ZR

    Wes Newell Guest

    No, assuming that board supports a 3000+.
    The there shouldn't be a problem.

    Wes Newell, Sep 17, 2003
  5. ZR

    Selle Guest

    Any tips on cutting the L3-3/5? I believe the process can be quite
    delicate.
    Thanks again.. Wes

    Selle, Sep 18, 2003
  6. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Wes,

    For starters...I just replaced my Thunderbird 900 Mhz. with the new
    XP2500+ Barton.

    I DID HAVE to go to my BIOS and change the CPU setting to 1250 (from
    900). Otherwise it didn't boot. Now the machine runs at 1.25 Ghz and
    that is not much change from the 900 Mhz. (I don't feel; the
    chnage...).

    But for some reason the mutiplier selection in the BIOS is
    grayed out..." - Why ? - How should I go around it ?

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 20, 2003
  7. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Wes,

    I cut L3-3 and L3-5 and it now runs at 2 Mhz.

    (BTW - the "L" bridges on my XP 2500+ were difefrent from the way they
    appear on the picture you posted on your web... If you want, I can
    provide you with the image (good quality) of the surface of the XP
    2500+ so you could show it in your web as yet another example - let me
    know).

    The 2 Mhz is an indication I get from Windows > Control Panel >
    Systems. Is this the right place to check the actual speed ? - Is
    there another way to verify the actusl speed of this CPU ?

    Also - how could I check the CPU temperature without logging off and
    getting into the BIOS ?

    Thanks.

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 21, 2003
  8. ZR

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yep, That's the default for it with a 13 or higher multiplier.
    Sure thing. Just remove SOS from the address here. I'd consider using any
    photos anyone wants to send.
    In linux cat /proc/cpuinfo will give you all the details.:)
    Look at post when you boot.
    Well, there's MBM for windows and probably a bunch of others.

    Wes Newell, Sep 22, 2003