    setting I have to change? Do I have to do that capacitor removal dealy?

    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta.

    David T Anderson, Aug 27, 2003

  2. David T Anderson

    steve Guest

    which chip do you have....the xp 2600 comes in 2 flavors...the one is
    suspect you may have is the 333 version which should run at 166 X
    12.5......This could be your problem...you may be running at 133FSB but your
    mult is locked at 12.5....where in the 266 version it should be much higher
    like 16 i think..

    Steve

    steve, Aug 27, 2003

  3. The only 2600XP CPU that is rated to run at all on this board is the
    Thoroughbred, which should run at 133x16...or do you mean the
    Thoroughbred comes in two flavors? My mobo is still running at
    133x12.5.. The AMD package the new CPU came in is marked '2600+ with 333
    MHz FSB'. I'd rather not open up my case to actually eyeball the CPU
    itself...the Volcano heatsink is a bear to get off...

    --
    David T. Anderson
    Calgary Alberta

    David T Anderson, Aug 29, 2003
  4. David T Anderson

    zmike6 Guest

    The 2600+ came in two varieties: a 16x133 variety, described as a
    "266 FSB" part, which is somewhat rare but probably the one you need,
    and another more common "333 FSB" one that runs 12.5x166 (not sure if
    multiplier was 12.5 but it's somewhere around there.) If you have a
    "333" FSB 2600+, then you have the one designed to run at 12.5x166.
    If you run the 333FSB model CPU at 12.5x133, it will boot up as a
    2000+ CPU at 1667 mhz, as you discovered. If your motherboard and/or
    RAM does not support the 166/333 FSB speed you may not be able to use
    that CPU properly. Depending on your motherboard you might be able to
    configure the CPU settings manually to run it at 16x133, but
    multiplier changes like that do not work on all motherboards. Good
    luck.

    zmike6, Aug 29, 2003
  5. David T Anderson

    steve Guest

    He is exactly right...this is what i stated in my first email....you have a
    little problem.....you need a different processor or a different mobo....i
    would take advantage of the 333 processor and get a new mobo...i run that
    chip with the k7n2

    steve, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Rats. Okay, now I get it. The store that sold me the 333FSB unit will
    take it back, and I'll replace it with an XP2400 266FSB unit. My
    original purpose was to get the fastest CPU my board could support and
    put off a major upgrade for another year, and the difference between the
    2400 and the 2600 isn't that great. MSI sure could have been clearer on
    the matter on their website...I _did_ research the situation, but the
    CPU support list page for my MOBO says nothing about 2 different 2600+
    CPUs...

    Thanks for your help and advice folks....

    David T Anderson, Aug 29, 2003