XP2600+ on NF7S does not OC - Do I miss something?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by JS, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. JS

    JS Guest

    OK,
    "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
    I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.

    Any idea?

    TIA

    JensSchumi

    LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
    http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

    GPLRank: -14.82
    Monsters of GPL: sub 95

    JS, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Whats your mobo ?

    Nf7-s 2.0 ?

    Its JUST ME!!!, Oct 22, 2004

  3. JS

    Wes Newell Guest

    You said it. Raise vcore and vdimm, lower ram timings, etc.

    Wes Newell, Oct 22, 2004
  4. JS

    Apollo Guest

    Only raise vcore if your cooling is adequate, monitor the temperatures
    with something like motherboard monitor. Raising the vcore is safe if
    you can provide the extra cooling, excess temperature will severely
    limit the chips ability to overclock and will possibly kill your
    processor.

    Post back with your case and socket temperatures at stock settings with
    something like prime95 running to stress the system, then you can ask
    for advice about your current cooling.

    Also remember that the NF7-S (2) can only measure the socket temperature
    and not the cpu core temperature, socket temp +10C ~=core temp.

    Motherboard monitor;

    Prime95;
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

    HTH

    Apollo, Oct 22, 2004
  5. My NF7v2.0 behaves in a similar way no matter what tricks I
    try. I got so annoyed in the end that I spent a lot of money
    on (a) another CPU and (b) very good ram. Which didn't change
    anything either :)

    I eventually bought a DFI board which I could push to 250MHz
    if I wanted. But the sad truth is that while high fsbs are
    nice and can help performance by about 10% or so on a good
    day, ultimately it's raw CPU MHz that counts most, and in
    that respect you're not missing much. My advice is not to get
    too hung up about fsb, just raise the CPU voltage a little
    (if you have decent cooling) and push the multiplier as hard
    as it'll go without becoming unstable. They're cheap enough
    after all.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Oct 22, 2004
  6. JS

    JS Guest

    Yup.

    JS, Oct 23, 2004
  7. JS

    JS Guest

    Hmm,

    sounds good.
    Will do that and report back.

    Anyhow, what are the temperature limits I should obey? My system is already at
    socket temps of 54 degC, that is while I'm typing this lines.
    My cooler is the best I could get here few years ago, a solid copper one.

    Cya

    Jens

    JS, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Personally I don't like to run much over 50 (reported by
    motherboard monitor or whatever util you prefer) when idling.
    And I always add 10C to temps to allow for a difference
    between what's reported and what's actually happening in the
    heart of the CPU.

    Given that CPUs ought to be happy up to at least 80C (though
    I'd never want to try it :) I think as long as you can stay
    under 60C while running something like Prime95 to thrash the
    CPU then you should be ok.

    I've never run a CPU over 1.75V for long either when testing.
    Generally I'd rather have it rock solid and cooler at 1.7V
    than pushed hard to 1.8. The benefits are rarely worth the
    effort, as my extensive and expensive research has proved to
    me :)

    Of course when Racing Legends is released we'll need to push
    our CPUs as hard as possible. Not sure what processor that
    will be though ;-)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Oct 23, 2004
  9. JS

    Bigbadger Guest

    Check that your CPU FSB/DRAM ratio (in BIOS Soft Menu) is set to 6/6
    (or any other divider equal to 1). If it's set to 'Auto' (which is
    default) then the memory will be already running at 200MHz, so any FSB
    overclock will be pushing the memory past it's maximum rated speed
    which is likely to be your problem. With any luck at all once you have
    set the FSB/DRAM ratio you should be able to reach 200MHz FSB without
    increasing the Vcore very much if at all.

    Bigbadger, Oct 23, 2004
  10. JS

    JS Guest

    Hehe, another racing maniac :)

    I just tried a bit.
    stock settings give me 61 deg under Prime . FYI: I'm in Malayia and we have a
    typical ambient temp of 26 deg (AC on)
    Was able to run 12.5x stable at 1.7V. Prime gives me a 64 deg.
    I tried the 13x but at even up to 1.8 V the PC went south after short time.

    Funny things are happening on the ram side.
    I have to run my ram (2x3200 Kinston 256 MB) at very tame settings. Anything
    higher than "optimal" (7,3,3,2.5) and my rig doesn't even reach the bios.

    That was definately different before I started testing :-(

    JS

    JS, Oct 23, 2004
  11. JS

    JS Guest

    Now that's interesting.
    Have seen the "Memory DDR 400" popping up frequently before BIOS (and before
    hanging ;-)

    Do you know what the entry "CPU Interface" in Softmenu means?
    It sounds like this thing must be enabled to allow any o/c tweaking at all. But
    from what I see I can already tweak everything without having CPU interface
    enabled.

    Any idea?

    TIA

    Jens

    JS, Oct 23, 2004
  12. Ambient temp is a very big factor. I suggest moving to the UK
    where ambient temp is now 16C and falling... quickly :)
    There are so many variables when overclocking it can be a
    nightmare working out what is happening. WinXP is very
    sensitive to memory problems. Motherboards seem to get pretty
    easily confused even when working within limits that seem to
    be within the spec of all components. And RAM is a law unto
    itself if you ask me. Specs seem to mean different things
    depending upon which motherboard you use and which way the
    wind is blowing :).

    As I said, I spent a lot of time and effort trying to
    understand all this, and my conclusion is that sometimes you
    get lucky and have a combination of hardware that works well
    together. But sometimes you just find stable zones where
    things work well and once you stray out of those zones the
    headaches start.

    For instance, I mentioned my DFI motherboard/ That will work
    pretty solidly at 250fsb. But between 210 and 245 it's pretty
    unstable no matter how I fiddle with the settings. Once under
    200 it's stable again. It was after this experience that I
    decided to leave it at 166x13.5 and just enjoy the fact that
    the PC's perfectly stable and handles everything I can throw
    at it well.

    Mind you, the x800 Pro probably helps ;-)

    I still enjoy the idea of getting more out of my hardware
    than I paid for, but it's easy to start feeling "I'm missing
    out on something!" when actually you're mostly missing out on
    more headaches than performance.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Oct 23, 2004
  13. JS

    Bigbadger Guest

    Thge CPU interface setting adjusts chip-set timings. 'Enabled' used
    faster (but possibly less stable timings), disabled uses the most
    stable timings. You should be able to run enabled ok.

    Bigbadger, Oct 23, 2004
  14. JS

    Flasherly Guest

    Hot - Tampa Bay w/ intermittant wall thumper. Have a small but sweet
    heatpipe (60mm - early design), adapter to 80mm, then elbow, and last
    80mm 5-10k variable fan. AKA, the "heatriser tower". Side sucks, top
    blows, 2 fan case design. Elbow angles HS fan back, close to
    side-sucking fan. 2100XP at 2083, unlocked, 11.5 <> 166, though can do
    somewhat higher. 105-115F, or idle to video encoding. I don't "do"
    voltages - earliest MSI NForce2 MB w/ 200FSB top limit - and set to
    stock core at 1.65V. FSB economical Samsung 2700DDR and/or
    multipliers for OC. Got a 2600XP on order, so might have to forget its
    multiplier, but hope to run the 2600XP nearabouts 2400 core (based on
    user surveys from Overclockers-dot-com). 2700 should get it up to
    mid-80s to 190. Not unusual for two 512m Samsung sticks - what I
    hear.

    If it don't do 2400 - I'll get pissed and up the used price on my
    2100XP.

    Flasherly, Oct 24, 2004