[XPost] Be7-Raid and Geforce 6600GT Big Freeze, bad caps ?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Roswellbob, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Hi to all
    i was running fine this Leadtek Geforce in AGP4x mode without any problems
    since june 2005, but recently, i've installed AGE Of Empire 3 , and since
    this event, many apps in 3D freeze the PC, i' just have to reset the PC,
    nothing else work......
    I've plugged of this video card, clean the GPU Core put on it Artic silver
    5, buy a Zalman 700Cu and the ZM VHS1 Rad for the HSI bridge, my PSU is
    Enermax 465W with 35A to the 12v, i've 4 HDD 160, 80, 60 and 30 Go the molex
    for the Graphic card is dedicated to it, nothing else is plugged with, my
    temps are 40° for CPU, 31° for chipset, 34°for GPU in 2D mode and never up
    to 60° in 3D ( monitored with Rivaturner ), i've try many forceware driver,
    Intel chipset Driver, try to desactivated Fast Write and Side Band Adressing
    ( is it possible in Be7 Raid Bios or just with the Nvidia Driver, seems not
    to work by this way ....), flash my Mobo bios, my GPU bios, re install
    Windows XP Up to Date with Windows Update( it' worth now with a fresh
    install since Saturday :-( )......
    The only day i had a a good feeling was in a fresh install of XP on another
    HDD ( an old Mitsumi 10Go/5400Tr HDD), this time i was able to run Microsoft
    plus ! screensaver all night long ( the mercure's one ), to day in 5mn with
    those screensaver, the PC freeze....
    I ve monitored GPU frequency and it seems the GPU goes 500Mhz in 3D then
    shut to 0 Mhz and reloaded at 500Mhz ( see it at :
    http://didier.pharmacenberg.free.fr/Monitorage_Geforce6600GT.jpeg )
    To day i've clean up all the Mobo, replugged the memory, and the Graphic
    card, but it's always the same, worth than last week with my old Xp
    installed....I don't have see bad caps on the Be7, do you ears about bad
    caps faillure on this board as the Be6-2 was ?
    I'm on the way to replace the item who don't work, but which one ?? GPU,
    Memory, Mobo, CPU ?????
    My system
    P4 2.4 @2.55 running fine since two years a this frequency
    2*512 3200 DDram
    Only a Firewire Card on PCI slot
    Leadtek Geforce 6600GT
    4HDD
    1DVD reader, 1CDRW and 1 DVDRW

    XP pro with SP1 up to date

    What happend ???? The curse of the Nvidia 6xxxx Geforce serie ????

    --
    Roswellbob

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/Sylvestre/
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/Arsouille/

    Roswellbob, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Roswellbob

    TomG Guest

    when I was having lockups in demanding 3-D apps, it turned out that I had
    too wimpy a power supply. I upgraded the PSU and all of that went away.
    not sure what you have for a PSU but keep in mind that newer graphics cards
    can be quite demanding...

    TomG, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Hi to all
    it was not PSU or FW or SBA or overheating or bugged Drivers, it was only
    bug with SpeeFan 4.24 and thermal sensors
    For those who have the same freeze in 3D game , do you use speedfan ?

    Roswellbob, Jan 21, 2006
  4. Roswellbob

    TomG Guest

    wow! glad you found it. just trial and error eliminating stuff running in
    the background?

    TomG, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Pour occuper son temps libre "TomG"
    nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :
    et y developpa le theme de :
    Hi
    not sure to understand exacly what you mean, because i speak not so much
    English :-(
    You mean , how did i find the solved issu ?
    First, i was boring to those freeze, then , last monday, i'was on road to
    buy a 6800 AGP card in Paris, but unfortunatly, no more are sale overthere,
    just waiting for the new 6800GS, comming soon, but not today..... So i
    bought ( buy ) another new Winfast A6600GT TDH from Leadtek, go back at home
    and put it in my PC case, then running 3DMark 2003, about 5mn spent, the PC
    froze, damnit all the GT 6600 Series are bugged ??? In the same time, i
    tried the old card in another PC i have, an old MSI 6330 Rev5 with a Tbird
    1000 with AGP 4x, the card runs fine !!!!! It is not the reason of the
    freeze, "the thruth is elsewhere" ! ( Thanks Mulder ;-) )
    Then i decide to snap on another HDD, with nothing on it and begin to re
    install all the apps and an fresh XP Pro, maybe my 160Go Hitachi is dead, or
    my ATA100 ribbon are defectuous, i put new ones.
    Spending some hours to do this, just update XP one update by one for
    determine, if one of them is the reason of frozen screen, then i fund the
    KB 327979 update (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327979), i was happy, i
    thought i was a know problem from Microsoft and may be my XP was not up to
    date since this update was availlable ! try to install, every things works
    fine, i was happy to had resolved this probleme :)
    I decide to putt back my 160Go HDD with the old XP installation, as soon as
    i've do this, the screensaver slow down and the PC crash......I update XP
    with kb327979, no matter, it's the same thing :-( So i decide to fdisk this
    HDD create new partitions and re install XP with all my apps i'm used to
    run, on by one with a "restauration point" before each, get back my CPU to
    normal FSB ( 133*18 ), every ything run fine for twodays and last night,
    before going to work ( i'm a night nurse ), i want to try running the CPU to
    2.4@2.55 , ok no problems it start and run the screensaver fine, so i decide
    to replace Speedfan Monitoring, my version was the 4.24, may be i dl it
    about October, aproximativemy date of troubbles begun, i go to eat, and
    after go upstairs to read last news before to go, the PC was crashed !!!!
    the only things who has changed was speedfan, i lauch a request with google
    and find this :
    http://www.almico.com/sfhistory.php
    Then i stop speedfan monitoring and leave the sreensaver running all night
    long, an now it run since yesterday night without any freeze, try to play
    StarWars Battlefront with Aniso Filtre and Anti Crenelage ( sorry i dont
    remember how it said in English), and the game run very fine :)
    I think it is really the solve of the 6xxx Curse :)
    Next week, i will take some time to try a newest version of Speedfan, to see
    if the thermal sensors conflict is solvedor if the "/NONVIDIAI2C" command
    line as describe or i will try Mother Board Monitor
    Sorry for my bad English , i hope that people will understand what i have
    wanted to say
    Have a good time

    Roswellbob, Jan 21, 2006
  6. Roswellbob

    TomG Guest

    thanks for a very detailed and good response... great information! it just
    goes to show how any program that is running can create a conflict.

    TomG, Jan 21, 2006