    of my old pc which booted up with these drives moments before. Both
    drives were slaves and are slaves in the new pc.

    Ideas?? thanks.

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007

  2. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Check the boot order in the BIOS. I had a problem until I thought of that.
    It was trying to boot the IDE drives.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007

  3. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Thanks Tom. I'll try to check that, first thing tomorrow.

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007
  4. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tomorrow!?! But I've been staying up late for the answer.

    Just kidding.

    Night all.

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007
  5. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Normally I stay up late tinkering but yesterday nite I just wanted
    some rest so I called it quits for pc work.

    Ok Tom, I tried it and its a no go.
    But at least now I get the error that reads
    partition boot record in the xp partition. Not sure why I got it but
    no matter, what matters is how to fix it. I think, correct me if I'm
    wrong, I can use dsrfix to fix it?? If it matters, Ctrl+F11 does not
    work upon boot up.

    I guess at this point I'm debating whether it's worth the trouble to
    fix or better (which I normally do) just reinstall MCE as clean
    install to eliminate the bloatware. The only thing that concerns me
    is that I prefer the clean install but want to make sure I don't
    elimate the orig Dell partitions (tho maybe I don't really want the
    Dell restore partition because should I use it, I'd get back the orig
    setup w/ all the bloatware). I could make my own (True Image) instead
    and also use my external drive as well. That makes me think of
    another question but I'll post that later (new thread).

    Thanks for the reply about boot sequence. It was a good suggestion.

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007
  6. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    The PBR message is, oddly, normal, not an error.

    A clean install won't kill the partitions but likely will require running
    DSRFix to get them back (not sure, as I changed several things). DSRFix
    requires a bootable floppy drive (USB OK).

    Try installing only one IDE drive. On my 8400, one worked, two didn't.

    Weird

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007
  7. RnR

    RnR Guest

    I'll try the one ide drive and let you know what happens. Definitely
    weird and I'd never think of just one ide drive. This is frustrating
    me and I may bite the bullet and just order another sata 500gb drive
    and remove the 2 ide drives (dunno yet). At least with the two sata
    drives in there now, I've got about 700gb of useable space and that
    should get me operable while I order another sata drive. I don't
    recall now if I put the next sata drive (in place of the 3rd and 4th
    ide drives) in the floppy drive space if I need to buy sata cables
    again. No problem regardless.

    Give me about 30 minutes and I'll repost my findings about removing
    the 4th drive. Amazing how you think of these things <g>.

    thanks.

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007
  8. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Maybe or maybe not you won't believe this. IT WORKED when I removed
    the ide drive (removed the next to the end connection on the flat
    ribbon). At first I had trouble with my optical mouse but after a
    reboot and playing with the mouse, that worked okay. As I write this,
    I'm rebooting the pc again to see how it works again to see if the
    mouse is okay. Yep, it booted okay with the mouse so yes, YOU ARE
    CORRECT. This is weird. I may play with the removed ide drive and
    hook up a separate flat cable to it alone and put that cable into
    another slot on the ide card to see if that matters. If it works,
    great. If not, I may opt for another sata drive (I'll think about
    this). I need to get operational because I use this pc for business
    stuff and currently use a laptop to get me by.

    Thanks again Tom and if you have any other "crazy" ideas :) that
    work, let me know !!

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007
  9. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Ok, when I open that ide drive I see one partition but can access the
    other partition (times out). Not sure why and if you have a quick
    idea, go ahead. If not, I'm not going to worry about it. I can
    probably figure this out but won't bother (one quick idea would be to
    repartition that ide drive and reformat but I'm not sure yet). I
    think I'll just buy another 500 gb sata drive (cables too if
    necessary) for the floppy drive slot. That will give me at least 1.xx
    terabytes and that should last me awhile <g>.

    Anyway, at least the pc boots okay now <g> thanks to you !!

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007
  10. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    My suggestion is to purchase the Seagate 750GB SATA drive. I know it is a
    little more per megabyte but it is blisteringly fast and you can never have
    too much space.

    I have, uh, 6 of them (4 SATA, 2 IDE)

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007
  11. RnR

    RnR Guest

    More weird stuff. I ran a 2nd flat ribbon to the 2nd ide drive so
    each ide drive had their own flat ribbon both to the ide card in
    separate connections and xp booted up. So inotherwords you can NOT
    have one flat ribbon connected to 2 ide drives even tho the card
    allows it and the ribbon allows it.

    Now after I solve(d) all this, now have to decide about that bad
    partition and whether I want this bloatware on the pc (system seems a
    bit sluggish still even after running the de-crapitizer (or whatever
    its called). I can't wait forever so I have to make some decisions
    soon.

    thanks again for the help.

    RnR, Jan 25, 2007
  12. Tom Scales wrote:

    Do you know who offers the best price these days? I Google it from time
    to time, but $325 is the best I saw earlier this week (with free
    shipping and no tax in NJ).

    Sparky Spartacus, Jan 25, 2007
  13. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's a pretty good price

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007
  14. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Tom, I have decided to go for another sata drive (size = ??) because I
    determined that the xps410/9200 does not like ide controller cards in
    it. Yeah you can get the drives to be recognized when booting up in
    the odd way I mentioned earlier but the boot sequence doesn't seem to
    work upon booting up.

    As soon as I removed the ide hard drives from the ide controller card,
    the pc's boot sequence worked ok. I also noticed that the pc seemed a
    bit sluggish when the pci card was inside. So I've removed the ide
    drives and ide card for good from this xps410.

    Just thought I'd mention this for anyone's benefit should they want to
    mix ide with sata drives inside a xps410/9200.

    thanks again for your earlier help.

    RnR, Jan 26, 2007
  15. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Have to say that is a little weird, as I have an Adaptec PCI IDE card in one
    of my 9200 computers with a Seagate ATA 750Gb drive on it. Works just fine.

    Tom Scales, Jan 26, 2007
  16. RnR

    RnR Guest

    FWIW, the mine is a Promise PCI IDE card.
    Maybe brand and model have something to do with this behavior, dunno
    because I don't have another card to try. I suppose there could be
    other reasons but at this point, I need to move on and solve some more
    important issues unfortunately. Someday, I'd like to solve it but I
    think I'll keep everything inside this new box, sata for now. I
    already ordered some spare sata cables and this morning will order
    another sata internal drive. BTW, you were right about the power
    cables. I think there are enough of them in the pc so I don't think I
    need any others for the forseeable future <g>.

    Well, at this point, time for a coffee break.

    RnR, Jan 26, 2007
  17. Crap! :)

    I guess you really lucked out when you found that $250 special (I am
    remembering that correctly, aren't I?). Maybe HDD prices will drop whe
    Hitachi's 1TB HDD hits the market at $399.

    BTW, ZipZoomFly has the 750GB at $325.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jan 26, 2007
  18. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, the $250 was a sale. Haven't seen one in awhile.

    Tom Scales, Jan 26, 2007
  19. RnR

    Pat Conover Guest

    Snip
    Thanks for the posts. My friend has a 9200 and wanted to connect the IDE
    drive from their old Dell to copy data files to the new drive. But that
    looks like a no go, from all your posts. I'll have to get them to drop off
    the drive and install it in one of my older Dell's, copy the files and burn
    to DVD. I was hoping for a quick copy in their machine.

    Thanks, Pat

    Pat Conover, Jan 28, 2007
  20. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Or get an external USB case.

    That said, I have an Adaptec PCI IDE card in my 9200 and it works fine with
    my 750GB IDE Seagate

    Tom Scales, Jan 28, 2007