XPS 600: bios does not show hard drive

Discussion in 'Dell' started by DeadMan, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. DeadMan

    DeadMan Guest

    Just installed an additional hard drive in an xps 600.
    Unfortunately it does not show up in bios while xp home "finds" it though.
    After initializing the drive I've successfully created a new primary
    partition
    in order to set up a second xp home system.
    Even the xp setup listed the new drive and began installation procedure.
    But now, I can't resume installation respectively boot the new system
    because the drive is not available at post bios boot sequence.

    Any suggestions?

    Greetings,
    Schwani.

    system specs:
    Dell XPS 600
    2 GB Memory (PC5300)
    Single NVidea 7800GTX
    1st hdd: WD1600JS on port SATA-0
    2nd hdd: WD1500ADFD on port SATA-1 (new drive)
    OS: XP Home, SP2

    DeadMan, Jul 10, 2006

  2. DeadMan

    Pat Conover Guest

    Are you trying to setup a second install of XP Home on the second HD in the
    XSP 600, the same computer as a dual/backup OS? If so, that's beyond my
    expertise. Or are you trying to do an install of XP Home for another XSP
    600 computer? If so, I recommend you do a clean install on that machine.

    I just installed a second 320GB Seagate SATA HD in a Dimension 9150. On the
    first boot I set the BIOS for both SATA0 and SATA1 ON and it did not find
    the drive. Moved the SATA connector to the one behind the SATA0 connector
    and it was recognized in both BIOS and XP Home. Initialized and formatted
    no problem.

    HTH, Pat

    Pat Conover, Jul 10, 2006

  3. DeadMan

    Jay B Guest

    did you go into the bios and turn on the sata port?
    you must do that for it to work right.
    after you turn it on, it doesnt acknowledge that it sees a drive, just
    turn it on and reboot!
    if that doesnt work, perhaps your sata cable is bad (cheap).

    Jay B, Jul 11, 2006
  4. DeadMan

    anna55 Guest

    I had same problem with my laptop, i sent to www.microtechmall.com ,
    they fixed in a week and ship back to me. working again like new.
    thanks to microtech, very fast and good service.

    anna55, Jul 24, 2006