    should get the regular or the dual core CPU. I don't really plan on running
    multiple apps at the same time so I am leaning towards the regular cpu. Any
    suggestions? Thanks

    Eric, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Eric

    N Hamilton Guest

    What's your reason for getting the XPS5 if you don't get the dual core?

    N Hamilton, Jun 25, 2005

  3. I'd go for single core. Most programs now don't take advantage of the
    second core -- why pay for something that you won't use?

    Charles C. Shyu, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Eric

    Tom Scales Guest

    You don't run a second program every single minute you're using your
    computer?

    You mean you don't run an anti-virus program?

    Seems like your anti-virus running on the second core would be good.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 26, 2005
  5. You know quite well Windows itself runs multiple processes (essentially)
    simultaneously, but that doesn't mean you ought to have a processor for
    each. If the original poster is interested in gaming, a single faster
    processor is definitely the better choice. Modern processors are more
    than fast enough for time sharing multiple apps in the background. Just
    because Intel's marketing is pushing dual core, it doesn't mean the
    average user needs it. Yes, there will be a time when most apps are
    designed (and more importantly optimized) for SMP, but at the present
    the biggest use for dualcores is on servers/workstations.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 27, 2005
  6. Eric

    Tom Scales Guest

    It just seems that if you're spending the money for an XPS5, dual core is a
    reasonable investment.

    Me, I'd buy an 8400.

    Tom Scales, Jun 27, 2005