    as a normal drive so its partition shows in Disk Management? We'd prefer to
    not use it as a cache.

    Thanks.

    Brian K, Sep 15, 2012

  2. Brian K

    Tom Cole Guest

    Go Start, Intel, 'Intel rapid storage technology'. Select the
    Accelerate button, then 'disable acceleration'. Next, under SSD
    Configuration, click 'Reset to Available'.

    I have a new Dell Vostro 3560 laptop with the same setup. I found that
    disabling RST really slowed it down. Booting time more than doubled.

    You may also have 'Rapid Start' enabled, with a hibernation partition
    on the SSD of size = your RAM. You can disable this in Windows or in
    the BIOS and reclaim this space as well.

    There is a PDF on the Dell web site which explains all this.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the URL (and it was difficult to find -
    linked from a forum reply) but I have the PDF if you want it.

    Cheers

    Tom Cole, Sep 15, 2012

  3. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Tom,

    Many thanks for that. A mate plans to buy a Dell laptop in the next few
    weeks and wants me to help him install WinXP as a multi-boot. It took me
    years to get him off Win98 so I haven't even tried to start him on Win7.
    I've read several disastrous threads about Intel Rapid Start and imaging so
    I'd prefer to avoid the Intel software. I'm hoping to have WinXP and a
    minimal Win7 install on the mSATA card, using BIBM as the boot manager. 32
    GB is quite large enough for what I'm planning. Can this be done when the
    card is "available"?

    Is this the pdf you have seen?

    http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...-responsiveness-technologies-setup-guide.aspx

    It doesn't really help my plans.

    Brian

    Brian K, Sep 16, 2012
  4. Brian K

    Tom Cole Guest

    Yes, it is the PDF referenced about 2/3 down (Intel Responsiveness
    technologies 0.91.pdf).

    Note that Rapid Start is quite different from Smart Response.

    He must be a very good mate!

    Do you have a reference to these 'disastrous threads' you found?

    Cheers

    Tom Cole, Sep 16, 2012
  5. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Tom,

    Here's one...

    Post #19 onwards. Cruise lost 4 data partitions completely, his OS wouldn't
    load, his backup images wouldn't restore and he had to do a factory restore.
    MudCrab developed OS corruption during his testing.

    There is another thread where the poster couldn't image or restore with
    ghost32.exe unless Accelerate was turned off.

    Brian K, Sep 16, 2012
  6. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Tom,

    Page 4 in this pdf confirms your advice and indicates that I should be able
    to install an OS on the mSATA card.

    ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/raid/Vision%20HT%20Series/IntelSmartResponse/English.pdf

    Brian K, Sep 16, 2012
  7. Brian K

    Tom Cole Guest

    I see on post #116 Cruise was using Smart Response in MAXIMISED mode.
    This buffers the HD write-backs through the SSD and conflicts with
    block mode imaging. It is safer to use the default (on my system)
    Enhanced mode, which does immediate write-through the SSD back to the
    HD.

    If you look at
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/everything_you_need_know_about_intels_new_z68_chipset
    and search for 'imaging' on that page, you will see:-

    |Here is the official response to your concern over file backups. It is as we thought, you are fine with any file-based backup tools that most of us run. If you run imaging-type backups, you'll need to run in Enhanced Mode, not Maximized Mode.

    |"Intel Smart Response Technology in either Enhanced or Maximized mode is fully compatible with backup tools that operate at the file system or volume level in Windows, or DOS. An example of this would be the Windows built-in backup tools. Standalone backup and disk imaging tools that boot versions of Linux and other operating systems that are not cache aware and therefore not compatible and should only be used with Intel Smart Response Technology configured in Enhanced Mode."

    These new technologies from Intel are very poorly documented. Intel
    has created marketing blurb, and has left it up to the computer
    manufacturers to actually document the features. Unfortunately the
    manufacturers don't fully understand all the ramifications.
    Consequently, things like this slip through the cracks.

    Tom Cole, Sep 17, 2012
  8. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Thanks Tom, really great information.