    Charlie
    Charlie Chapman
    NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

    Charlie Chapman, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Charlie Chapman

    S.Lewis Guest

    Given your description of how it will be used, get the Dim8300. The XPS is
    a gaming/performance rig, and these are generally noisy out of necessity and
    more expensive by nature.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Charlie Chapman

    Tom Almy Guest

    There would be no advantage of the XPS for you, and plenty of money to
    be saved with the 8300. The only thing you mention that has the
    potential for needing "power" is photo editing. A fairly minimal
    configuration of an 8300 would suit you fine (basic sound, minimal video
    card, IDE hard drive, 2.8GHz CPU) but get 512MB of RAM.

    Tom Almy, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Charlie Chapman

    N.O. Body Guest

    I agree with the previous two responders. IF you're not into gaming then
    the 8300 should suit your needs.

    However, if you can afford it go for the 1GB of RAM and as big a hard drive
    as you can afford. (No matter how big your hard drive, they never seem big
    enough. <g>). If you do much photo editing the extra memory and HD space
    will be appreciated.

    I have an XPS and have not found it to be noisy. If fact it much quiter
    than my previous Gateway machine.

    Paul

    N.O. Body, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Thanks all for you replies. I will look hard at the 8300.

    Charlie Chapman, Dec 3, 2003