xSeries 330

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Ruben, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Ruben

    Ruben Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to install Linux on my xSeries 330, but had no luck so far.

    What I tried so far is the following:

    - I connected the server to a pc using a nullmodem cable
    - I can connect to the server an logon to the ASM
    - I hit Z to enable remote video
    - I insert my Debian 3 CD into the server's CD drive
    - while the server boots I enter its BIOS to make sure the CDROM drive
    is at the right spot in the boot sequence
    - I save the BIOS settings and make the server boot again
    - I see it check its memory and I see the SCSI adapter settings etc
    - I see that the server reads from the CDROM drive, so I suppose it's
    either trying or actually booting from the Debian CD, but as soon as
    that happens the remote video stops working

    Is this a known problem? And how can I get around this. I'd like to
    install the server using a nullmodem connection from my pc, because I
    don't have the C2T cableset.
    Any ideas as to how to resolve this?
    Thanks in advance.

    Kind regards,
    Ruben.

    Ruben, Oct 27, 2004

  2. You need the C2T cable...you can get that on ebay at a reasonable price.

    Also, what rack are you using? Are you using a netbay 25 or 42?

    Andre Monostori, Dec 22, 2004