XT983 Repair Q, what am I forgetting?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Mike, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    This PC is just driving me nuts...

    I'm working on my dads XT983 (Wal-Mart special). The story is that one
    minute it was fine, then he left for about 30 minutes, and when he
    came back, no video and the computer isn't responding. When you
    restart it, you hear the fans and HDD click on, but you do not hear
    the normal beep sequence; implying, of course, that the computer isn't
    making it that far.

    The monitor is the one that came with the PC. It has an orange light
    when there's no video signal, and turns green when it gets a signal.
    On this computer, it stays orange now.

    I've literally replaced everything I can think of, and it hasn't fixed
    the problem. Here is a list of everything I've done:

    1. unhooked all externals except for the monitor and power

    2. unhooked all internal cards and cables except for HDD and power
    supply

    3. replaced mobo and CPU with new (the video card is built in to the
    mobo)

    4. plugged in a power supply that I know works

    5. plugged in RAM that I know is OK

    6. replaced the HDD cable

    7. plugged in an HDD that I know works

    Of course, one of the first things I did was check the monitor, and it
    seems OK on a different computer. But I've replaced mobo, CPU, RAM,
    power supply, HDD, and cables, all with no effect. Isn't that pretty
    much everything that CAN be replaced??

    I haven't replaced the switch, but it seems logical that the switch
    must be OK since the mobo is getting the "on" signal.

    Any thoughts on what else I can do, or what I've forgotten to check?

    TIA,

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Mike

    Hanjing Guest

    The graphic card, you can put another PCI graphic card on your motherboard,
    it muss be Ok, i think. By the way, don't forget to switch off the viodeo
    card on your mainboard.

    Hanjing, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    The graphic card, you can put another PCI graphic card on your motherboard,
    Thanks for the advice. When I replaced the motherboard, the new one
    had a built-in video card (just like the original), and this still
    didn't help.

    Any other suggestions?

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Mike

    JP Guest

    Do check out the powersupply.
    Very often the ps delivers enough power to get the system running but just
    not enough for the video card (even build in ones).
    Had the same problem very recently.

    Jan

    JP, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Okay, the first think the computer should do is beep, you get no beep.
    Doesn't matter, you get no beep. Video comes later.
    Why not unhook the HDD? The system doesn't beep, and it can beep without
    a hard drive.
    Can you get just this mobo to work?
    Forget the HDD. Try going the other way. Replace a working system's
    components with ones from the bad system one by one.
    Doesn't matter. A bad monitor won't keep the mobo from POSTing.
    Fine, so replace everything and you'll have two computers. ;)
    You need to test each piece, not each "everything but one piece". You
    could easily have fried both your mobo or your CPU or both your power supply
    and your mobo. This is *very* common, especially on older mobos with
    capacitors with bad electrolyte.
    DS

    David Schwartz, May 21, 2004
  6. Mike

    dan77 Guest

    i am having the same problem. some one told me to switch the reset jumer ro
    reset something. i am not the computer wise. could anyone tell me where
    the jumper is? or how i can fix this computer without spending an arm and
    a leg. thanx

    dan77, May 31, 2004