    the builtin card is ) ?

    Thanks
    Dhawal

    Dhawal Tyagi, Nov 19, 2003

  2. HI,
    ATI Rage is inside the Blade100, so the XVR-100 should be much better
    but let us know. Do you have one?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 19, 2003

  3. The device driver comes on a CD with the card, or it can be downloaded from
    sun.com/downloads. It probably works OK since its supported in the very
    similar Blade 150. I'ver personally tried it in U60 (not supported) and
    performance was worse than creator 3d s2.

    The driver seemed quite buggy at the time, so be sure to install the
    latest Xsun and XVR-100 device driver patches.

    It's better than the built in graphics in a Blade 100, I'm sure.

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Nov 19, 2003
  4. It took a support call (from me) to find out that, for the first time
    in MY experience, you MUST install the provided driver software (on
    the provided CD) before you can use this card (in graphics mode
    anyway). Even the XVR-500 works immediately once you've plugged it in.

    Matt Atterbury, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Dhawal Tyagi

    Dhawal Tyagi Guest

    So looks like I can give it a try, yes I have the card and the CD.
    I'll post the results later.

    Thanks
    Dhawal

    Dhawal Tyagi, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Dhawal Tyagi

    Dhawal Tyagi Guest

    So here is the promised update:
    I have been running XVR-100 blade in Blade 100 for about 2 weeks now, in summary
    I think I want to go back to the builtin graphics.
    The performance is just not there. In fact, it is even worse in KDE, I am running
    the Forte compiled KDE 3.1.3 from Stefan. All the menus etc. take a long time to
    open up and repaint.
    If I run CDE, this problem is not there, but the performance is still a little
    bit slower than the builtin card.
    This is with all the latest Sol 8, XSun and XVR-100 patches + OpenGL and Sun's
    mediaLib packages.

    If anyone has any clue to this, please let me know. I also tried running the
    ogldemo and see difference in performance, but it is barely more than before:
    ../ogl_install_check

    Sun Microsystems: ogl_install_check 64-bit
    OpenGL Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    OpenGL API Standard Version: 1.3
    OpenGL Vendor Product Info: Sun OpenGL 1.3 patch 113887-16 for Solaris
    OpenGL Renderer: SUNWpfb mmap software renderer, VIS
    OpenGL Extension Support: GL_ARB_multitexture
    GL_ARB_point_parameters
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
    GL_ARB_texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
    GL_EXT_abgr
    GL_EXT_blend_color
    GL_EXT_blend_logic_op
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax
    GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_convolution
    GL_EXT_histogram
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
    GL_EXT_pixel_transform
    GL_EXT_polygon_offset
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal
    GL_EXT_texture3D
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    GL_HP_convolution_border_modes
    GL_SGIS_detail_texture
    GL_SGIS_sharpen_texture
    GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp
    GL_SGIS_texture_filter4
    GL_SGIX_texture_lod_bias
    GL_SGIX_texture_scale_bias
    GL_SGI_color_table
    GL_SGI_texture_color_table
    GL_SUNX_constant_data
    GL_SUNX_geometry_compression
    GL_SUNX_surface_hint
    GL_SUN_convolution_border_modes
    GL_SUN_get_texture_memory_size
    GL_SUN_global_alpha
    GL_SUN_mesh_array
    GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
    GL_SUN_triangle_list
    GL_SUN_vertex
    OpenGL GLX Client Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    OpenGL GLX Client Version: 1.4 Sun OpenGL 1.3 patch 113887-16 for Solaris
    OpenGL GLX Client Extensions: GLX_ARB_multisample
    GLX_EXT_visual_info
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    GLX_SUN_disable_xinerama
    GLX_SUN_get_transparent_index
    GLX_SUN_init_threads
    OpenGL GLX Server Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    OpenGL GLX Server Version: 1.4 Sun OpenGL 1.3 patch 113886-16 for Solaris
    OpenGL GLX Server Extensions: GLX_ARB_multisample
    GLX_EXT_visual_info
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    GLX_SUN_get_transparent_index
    OpenGL GLU Version: 1.3 Sun OpenGL 1.3 for Solaris
    OpenGL GLU Extensions: GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator
    GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
    OpenGL GLX Server: Detail Status Report
    GLX: Context is direct.
    GLX: OpenGL Rendering in use
    GLX: Double Buffering in use
    GLX: Color Buffer (GLX_BUFFER_SIZE) = 24 bits
    GLX: Depth Buffer (GLX_DEPTH_SIZE) = 32 bits
    GLX: Stencil Buffer (GLX_STENCIL_SIZE) = 8 bits
    GLX: RGBA (True Color/Direct Color) Visual in use
    GLX: Video Refresh Rate is Unknown
    GLX: Visual Gamma Value is Unknown
    GLX: Video Resize Capability Flag = 0
    OpenGL Library: Detail Status Report
    Number of color bits (R/G/B/A): 8/8/8/0
    Frame Buffer Depth (GL_DEPTH_BITS): 32
    Colour Torus (outer): 1620 quad polygons
    Monochrome Torus (inner): 72 quad polygons
    Sun Microsystems OpenGL for Solaris Interactive verification
    Begin calibration cycle. This takes about 5.00 seconds.
    This test will draw 110 frames in one cycle of 3D rotations.
    Press any key in OpenGL window, for next cycle of 3D rotations.
    Press "Q", "q" or (ESC) in OpenGL window, to exit program.

    110 frames in 10.12 seconds -- 10.87 FPS
    110 frames in 9.98 seconds -- 11.02 FPS
    110 frames in 10.54 seconds -- 10.44 FPS
    110 frames in 10.45 seconds -- 10.52 FPS
    110 frames in 10.11 seconds -- 10.88 FPS

    End of 64-bit ogl_install_check program.
    Thank you for using Sun Microsystems OpenGL for Solaris software.

    Dhawal Tyagi, Dec 8, 2003