    Kingston KTC-D320 PC2700 DDR on an MSI KT3 Ultra2 (not the ARU).

    Recommendations for a new system component are welcome ;D

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Kai Robinson

    neopolaris Guest

    I'd hold off a little while longer Kai. I'm running 2 KT3 Ultra ARUs with
    overclocked 1.5v 1700 TBREDs and I have a KT6 Delta LSR with an unlocked
    2500 running 10.5x212. One ARU has a Golden sample ti200 and so does the
    KT6. The other KT3 has an ATI 8500. It's hard to tell the diferences
    between the machines without running a benchy. I did finally break 10grand
    in 3dMark01 with a ti200 and the KT6 though.

    Congrats AGAIN on the resurrection of the GF3

    neopolaris

    neopolaris, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Hehe - i might just hold off - but i'm itching for a newer card - just for
    Doom III.....

    This card REFUSES TO DIE! In the words of Boris from Goldeneye 'I am
    Inveeenseebul!'

    :p

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Kai Robinson

    chris Guest

    Glad all appears to be ok with the gf3
    weird how testvram kicked it into gear!

    chris

    chris, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Very strange - or it could have been me erasing the BIOS completely - then
    reflashing with the manufacturers BIOS on the Abit CD - rather than my
    already heftily modified version.

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Kai Robinson

    chris Guest

    Very strange - or it could have been me erasing the BIOS completely - then
    methinks that had alot to do with it
    well played to get the bugger going
    I'll have another stella, and your one too

    chris

    chris, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Hahaha! I dont drink or smoke - so yeah, you do that :p

    Now its time to upgrade! :D

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Kai Robinson

    chris Guest

    Hahaha! I dont drink or smoke - so yeah, you do that :p
    You can flog ur gf3 on ebay when you have ur new 'un too
    get anothe 256 of that ram

    chris

    chris, Feb 11, 2004
  9. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Nah - i'll keep it, good excuse to build another machine that way ;D

    Question is though - old P4 2.0 or an Athlon64 FX-51? ;)

    muahahahahaha! :p

    Kai Robinson, Feb 11, 2004
  10. Kai Robinson

    Dark Avenger Guest

    Score looks right!

    Ofcourse for gaming you need more memory, well need.. I highly
    suggest, 1 GB of ram for a real deal gamer is pretty common.

    MSI KT3 Ultra looks fine to me.

    Dark Avenger, Feb 11, 2004
  11. Kai Robinson

    DaveL Guest

    That's a great score for a ti200. Tell us the story of what happen to the
    card and how you brought it back to life. BTW, I would hold off on a new
    card until the game (D3) actually is out for sale. The NV40 is due to be
    out before then.

    Dave

    DaveL, Feb 11, 2004
  12. Kai Robinson

    DaveL Guest

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14058

    DaveL, Feb 11, 2004
  13. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Ooh - long and strange tale. Before Christmas - my cat decided to have a
    piss in my computer case - as it had no sides (lost them in germany).
    Pronounced dead (produced wierd artefacts). Resurrected that time by arduous
    cleaning with warm soapy water and drying on a very hot radiator wrapped in
    a towel. Second time around, for some unknown reason, it stopped working
    completely - locking up in 2d mode - and producing artefacts in 3d games
    when it ran for the 1-2 secs it wanted to. Always failed with an error in
    nv4_disp.dll. Tried new thermal paste - reseating heatsinks & ramsinks - no
    go. tried flashing the BIOS again. no go again. tried new drivers - again,
    no go.

    So, the other night - courtesy of chris, i tried testvram.com in DOS, after
    doing an erase THEN flash of the BIOS. testvram reported all was fine upto
    533Mhz memory but no further. As these are 5ns chips - rated 400Mhz - that
    wasnt bad. At least i ruled out the memory being the cause. So i tried
    locked up at the end. reboot. IT WORKED! it stayed stable in 2d mode for an
    hour and no artefacts (which can be seen at
    http://kai.robinson.free.fr/retarded.jpg ).

    I tried max payne first. no blue artefacts, and it seemed to work fine. Then
    tried Quake III - that worked fine too. Then finally gave it some punishing
    in Unreal II (the Hell mission - and yes, it scared my pants off and down
    the drive). Worked fine. Tried overclocking - again - worked fine, and was
    even stable at 250/500 for an hour running 3dmark2001se in loops. That was
    with the CPU cranked upto 1.8v, the FSB changed in BIOS to 150Mhz, and upped
    to 153Mhz by using Fuzzy Logic 4 (it wont even post higher than 150),
    Kingston memory at 300Mhz CAS2 (its rated CAS 2.5 @ 333Mhz).

    Its still working - and i've just completed Unreal II again.

    And - just placed a bid on ebay for 256mb more matching Kingston
    KTC-D320/256 at £20 each, and placed a £64 on a Gainward Ultra/750XP Golden
    Sample. For those that dont speak marketing - thats a GeForce 4 Ti4800SE.
    Comes with a Firewire card too. and its even boxed. Should be fun. All the
    reviewers managed to get it to run 350/650 :D

    So anyway - thats my long, boring and ultimately pointless story :p

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 11, 2004