    CapFusion Guest

    According to link / article, it seem like it still have problem.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Oct 28, 2004

  2. tq96

    Folk Guest

    Oh really? The software came with my 6800 GT. RaceFace says the
    software came with his card too. Do you even have a qualified card?
    Did you bother to look on the CD that came with the card?

    Folk, Oct 28, 2004

  3. tq96

    Chip Guest

    Don't be. Read the article again and you will see they are saying, YES its
    broken. Read it carefully.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 28, 2004
  4. tq96

    Chip Guest

    YES IT IS. Read the article, not the headline.

    Its quite clear. They say that WMV acceleration works on the 6600 with a
    new driver and the DVD decoder. Full stop. Notice the total lack of
    comment about WMV acceleration on the 6800?

    I rest my case.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 28, 2004
  5. tq96

    Tim Guest

    Is this really a big deal though, assuming one has a fast CPU? Is there
    something still lacking by not having the acceleration?

    Tim, Oct 28, 2004
  6. tq96

    Les Guest

    Did it? You sure?

    RaceFace says the
    No of course not, that's why it bothers me so much
    YES FOR FUCKS SAKE, DID YOU BOTHER LOOKING AT WHAT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED.

    Can no one read or what. NVDVD is not the same as NVIDIA DVD Decoder, DVD
    decoder is what nvidia quote as being needed to utilise the 6800 video
    processor.

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd_downloadtrial.html been out ages plays
    dvd's, much like windvd, powerdvd etc tends to come free with most nvidia
    based graphics cards

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.58.html came out 20/10/2004,
    isn't free and isn't supplied with most nvidia based graphics cards and is
    needed to utilise 6800 video processor

    here is the link to the enquirer article again
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314 please find the part where it says
    to install NVDVD and quote it for me.

    --
    Les
    AMD64 3200+

    Les, Oct 28, 2004
  7. tq96

    Folk Guest

    Thanks for sharing.

    You should consider anger management.

    Folk, Oct 28, 2004
  8. tq96

    tq96 Guest

    Is this really a big deal though, assuming one has a fast CPU? Is there
    There are reports that even high end systems have trouble decoding 1080i
    encoded WMVs.

    But even with a fast CPU, we have a case of a company advertising features
    it either knew were broken or that it hadn't properly tested.

    tq96, Oct 29, 2004
  9. tq96

    RaceFace Guest

    Yes. You can't, for instance, play the new WMV HD stuff without hardware
    decoding. If you try it in software, it stutters like crazy. Even on my P4
    3.06HT chip.

    RaceFace, Oct 29, 2004
  10. tq96

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Oct 29, 2004
  11. tq96

    Tim Guest

    Of course, although I can't envision NVidia doing much more about it than
    gloss over the problem.

    Tim, Oct 29, 2004
  12. tq96

    tq96 Guest

    Is this really a big deal though, assuming one has a fast CPU? Is there
    I found a much better answer to this in the thread about this over at
    Anandtech:

    "Obviously reducing the load on the processor decoding video files allows
    you to do a couple things.

    Additional Post Processing, it allows you to use resize, deinterlacing
    softeneing sharpening...any number of filters to increase the PQ of the
    video stream before it is displayed..this is particularly important for
    HTPC users displaying on larger screens.

    Smoothly playback high bitrate video files. Video streams at high
    resolution require far more processing power to display than low resolution
    interlaced NTSC that you are used to watching on TV.

    Multitasking. A very important feature for the HTPC enthusiast is the
    ability to perform different tasks at the same time. I have 6 tuners in my
    main PC, and can record 3 at the same time if one is DTV. This is important
    in that you use your PVR to record your shows whenever they come on. If
    more than 1 show takes up a particular timeslot, you don't have a conflict.
    If you are using most of your CPU cycles to decode a video, when your
    recording starts, you drop frames and your A/V gets out of sync. Anything
    you do on the PC...your movie stutters...damn frustrating when the card you
    paid good money for was supposed to reduce the CPU load by up to 95%

    For encoding, its pretty obvious how encoding even NTSC resolution files
    can take considerable time if you've ever done it...any help to reduce the
    time to encode a file is a big help. Hardware acceleration can also be very
    helpfull when editing your files. Hardware acceleration can allow you to
    scroll the timeline, and edit without having to re-encode to preview your
    work. Adding transitions is very cumbersome when its hit or miss, with
    hardware accelerated timelines, you can just scrub back and forth and get
    everything perfect before rendering..its a huge help.

    It means every bit as much to a video enthusiast to have hardware
    encoding/decoding support as it does for a gamer to have hardware T/L
    support. The 6800 was supposed to offer superior support for both."

    tq96, Oct 29, 2004
  13. tq96

    Chip Guest

    VERY good post, imho.

    I can just about get smooth playback of 1080i WMV material on my PC, so long
    as I don't do anything else at the same time. But if I wanted to do
    anything remotely taxing as well, then it just wouldn't work. Its not only
    dropped frames too. When I get dropped frames, I lose the lip synch and it
    becomes unwatchable.

    nVidia need to sort out a fix for this, and if they cannot, they need to
    think about what sort of compensation they are going to offer.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 29, 2004
  14. tq96

    CapFusion Guest

    I am not sure if they possibly can do any compensation.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Oct 29, 2004
  15. tq96

    Chip Guest

    Why not?

    Chip, Oct 29, 2004
  16. tq96

    CapFusion Guest

    What do you mean by "Why not?"?
    What would you expect nVidia to do regarding to compensation?

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Oct 29, 2004
  17. tq96

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Oct 29, 2004
  18. tq96

    tq96 Guest

    tq96, Oct 30, 2004
  19. tq96

    Chip Guest

    I think perhaps we misunderstand each other:

    You said "I am not sure if they possibly can do any compensation".

    I asked "Why not?". This means "Why can they not possibly do any
    compensation"? Its a fair question.

    I am not saying they *will*. I am merely asking you why you think that they
    *can't*? Its clear that they *can* if they want to. Its simply a question
    of whether they *will* or not.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 30, 2004
  20. tq96

    Chip Guest

    Much as I thought. They have fixed the Video Processor in later chip
    revisions, hence it works on the PCI Express card:

    "While NVIDIA now says HD WMV acceleration is only supported by the GeForce
    6600-series graphics processing units, X-bit labs has found that at least on
    some drivers the HDTV acceleration works on the GeForce 6800 GT PCI Express
    graphics cards. AGP flavour of the GeForce 6800 GT did not provide HDTV
    hardware decoding on the same driver version."

    The very worrying bit is that it did not work on the AGP card.... which is
    the one that everyone owns and which all the fuss is about. No-one is
    doubting nVidia's ability to fix the problem with later chips. What we are
    all wondering about is how they are going to fix it with *our* cards!

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 30, 2004