    I hope You'll enjoy the "good parts" of Your card anyway!

    Sincerely,
    Rene

    René, Oct 30, 2004

  2. In case you missed it, the TechConnect web site has a brief article:

    http://tinyurl.com/4j6zr

    "NVIDIA has began confirming the video acceleration functionality of
    the 6800 series GPU has a hardware flaw and will never work."

    Paul J. Hurley, Oct 30, 2004

  3. tq96

    Chip Guest

    That's perhaps correct. On the other hand it could be complete bollocks.

    There are other "anonymous" nVidia contributors (the article's illiterate
    author actually called him a "unanimous" nVidia contributor, LOL) who say
    the video processor IS working correctly.

    And then the author - who is clearly a cretin - goes on to say that Motion
    Compensation is broken and will never work. This is 100% incorrect and
    demonstrably so: DVD playback CPU ulilization rates are around 4% with the
    6800 with the right drivers and codecs. Interesting the comment about
    Motion Compensation being broken was not in quotes. Perhaps the author just
    made that bit up.

    So who knows. This article is so flawed that I question its validity.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 31, 2004
  4. tq96

    René Guest

    You most certainly do have a point there. It might be an employee who is
    angry for some reason. In that case, it might be sort of a "hoax". Let's
    hope so!

    Greetings,
    Rene

    René, Oct 31, 2004
  5. tq96

    JTS Guest

    I did. Media Player won't run. I uninstall it. MP works fine. Strange!

    JTS, Oct 31, 2004
  6. tq96

    JTS Guest

    Maybe. But he's right.

    JTS, Nov 1, 2004
  7. tq96

    JTS Guest

    They're not going to, I'm guessing.

    JTS, Nov 1, 2004
  8. tq96

    Chip Guest

    I think there will be a partial fix. My guess is that a new driver and
    codec is going to bring down the CPU utilization somewhat. But not to where
    it should be - and it will be on future 6800's. I am now 99% certain that
    the video decoder is at least partially broken (or surely nVidia would have
    come right out and said it was working fine, which they have not done). On
    the other hand, its equally clear that its also partially working as well.
    Otherwise the DVD decoding wouldn't be so CPU-light.

    I am sure they can "improve" on the situation we have now with some new
    codecs and drivers.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 1, 2004
  9. tq96

    John Lewis Guest

    One of the penalties of being an "early adopter". I have held off
    buying a 6800-series card until the driver for the video processor was
    fully up and running. I have some past experience in both the use
    and design of complex silicon - and have learned that hardware
    test-suites are an incomplete substitute for a fully-working driver
    in terms of debugging a chip. No doubt the problem will be
    fixed for the AGP user with the first die-shrink of the 6800 family.
    Both NVidia and Ati will be continuing to support AGP for a long
    time in the PC-peripheral-upgrade market. The die-shrinks that
    both are planning to release will address both power and
    chip-cost issues as well as fixing hardware-bugs.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 7, 2004
  10. tq96

    Chip Guest

    I am sure it will be fixed before that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if
    the silicon now being delivered is fixed in fact. I would think a new
    stepping will contain a fix.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 8, 2004
  11. tq96

    John Lewis Guest

    Since I have zero inclination to remove the heat-sink to ascertain the

    Rev version, I shall give the 6800GT (AGP) and the X800 (AGP) a pass.
    Still have my trusty overclocked 5900 (non-XT). Will probably wait
    for a dual PCI-express motherboard to give the option of running
    the 6800 in SLI mode. A FX53/nForce4 motherboard combo would be
    extremely attractive.

    John Lewis.

    John Lewis, Nov 9, 2004
  12. tq96

    Chip Guest

    Er, so would a shag with Cameron Diaz. Not going to get that either ;-)

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 9, 2004
  13. tq96

    J. Clarke Guest

    Now, watch, 80 years from now you're going to be in the old folks home and
    who's the widow next door going to be? Be careful what you wish for

    J. Clarke, Nov 14, 2004
  14. tq96

    Chip Guest

    Well thanks for the thought. But in 80 years, I would be a 123. With
    medical science being what it is, I suppose that may be remotely possible.
    Getting the kit to work, however? Well that's another matter altogether.
    LOL.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 15, 2004
  15. tq96

    TechMaster Guest

    On 28 Oct 2004 09:05:36 +0950, "@ndrew"
    <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

    Hey now...i just downloaded the DVD decoder and no one asked me
    for any money.

    TechMaster, Dec 2, 2004
  16. tq96

    Ed Light Guest

    It says

    "NOTE: This software will not run unless you have purchased an activation
    key. To purchase an activation key please visit
    www.dvd.nvidiaproducts.com."

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Dec 2, 2004

  17. "www.your favorite warez n' crack site.com"

    or

    "www.I'm so l33t with my hex editor.net"

    or

    "www.my buddy just got a new Nvidia card with the proggy on the included
    disk.edu"

    Sorry, couldn't resist...

    Nerdillius Maximus, Dec 2, 2004
  18. tq96

    TechMaster Guest

    Hey JOHN, You sound as though you really know what your talkin about.
    I am trying to make a decision as to which card to buy.
    Firstly...Do you thing there would be any way of telling from the box
    weather or not its a newer series card?
    OR
    Should i stay away all together. I want gaming power but its not all
    terribly important to me. Im not a real gaming freak. But i DO need
    VIDEO processing power, because i do video edditing and would like to
    buld a nice Video edditing machine based on one of these cards.
    Im using Pinnacle Syatems studio 9 pro with a Movie box attached.
    Any thoughts on this?

    TechMaster, Dec 3, 2004