    anyway), I posted the issue to Macintouch and got this response today:

    "Mountain Lion is listed as 10.8 in the About This Mac Menu item."

    So, seems official.

    Fred Moore, Feb 17, 2012

  2. Fred Moore

    D Finnigan Guest

    OS X 10.7 Lion wasn't *Mac* OS X, either.

    D Finnigan, Feb 18, 2012

  3. Actually, it is; the About This Mac window says so.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 18, 2012
  4. Apparently the official name in Apple's press releases, web pages, etc. is
    "OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion".

    The problem with removing "Mac" from the name means we'll now get all the
    nutters coming out of the woodwork again claiming that Apple is about to
    release OS X for non-Apple computers. :eek:(

    A mountain Lion is also just another name for a puma (it's also the same
    as cougar). Puma is of course the codename for an old version of OS X
    (version 10.1 from memory), so maybe Apple is trying to tell us they are
    now going backwards and we'll all soon be using OS 9 again. ;o)

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Feb 18, 2012
  5. Fred Moore

    sbt Guest

    No, a cougar is a human female with a preference for younger adult
    human males :)

    sbt, Feb 18, 2012
  6. No, a cougar is a human female with a preference for younger adult human
    males :)[/QUOTE]

    Or in some cases with a preference for younger adult human females.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 18, 2012
  7. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    On the Apple website, at present, it OS X Lion. (Was it back when they
    were touting Lion?).

    On the CDN site, where they don't show ML at all and the Lion pages
    haven't been updated to the new Lion (not ML) graphics on the US Lion
    site, it is "OS X Lion".

    (eg: the US site "Lion" page has updated graphics as well as the ML page.)

    Alan Browne, Feb 18, 2012
  8. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    Did you forget to growl?

    Alan Browne, Feb 18, 2012
  9. Try a Google image search for "OS X" and "cougar" and you do find that
    there is some parody packaging for such a version using a female image
    instead of a big cat.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Feb 18, 2012
  10. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    Very helpful. Thanks!

    Alan Browne, Feb 18, 2012
  11. Fred Moore

    Paul Sture Guest

    One practical reason for dropping the "Mac" bit could be the total length
    of the name, fitting it into dialogue boxes etc.

    Paul Sture, Feb 19, 2012
  12. Fred Moore

    D Finnigan Guest

    Take a look at Apple's Mac OS X web site from the time.

    Then, compare with Apple's Mac OS X web site when 10.6 was current.

    D Finnigan, Feb 19, 2012
  13. A much more practical option would be to drop the big cat codenames -
    they're longer than "Mac" and rather meaningless to anyone trying to work
    out which is the newer version.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Feb 19, 2012
  14. Fred Moore

    JF Mezei Guest

    They are better than "Ice Cream Sandwich"

    JF Mezei, Feb 19, 2012
  15. I haven't followed Windows codenames, but at least "Vista" has something
    to do with windows.

    Maybe Apple should be using varieties of apple as the codenames:

    Mac OS X 10.1 Granny Smith
    Mac OS X 10.2 Pippin
    Mac OS X 10.3 Gala
    etc.

    Apparently there are 7500 different varieties, so that give tham MUCH more
    scope than big cat names (altohugh I doubt any of use would still be
    around to use OS X 10.7500).

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Feb 20, 2012
  16. Fred Moore