    In the laptop I’m considering, the Core 2 Duo adds about $125.
    Is it worth it in my situation?

    Thanks!

    nunamus, Apr 22, 2007

  2. nunamus

    paulmd Guest

    Core 2. Because it uses less juice, the battery will live longer. It's
    also an overall better processor.

    paulmd, Apr 23, 2007

  3. There will be a difference in benchmarks, but it's not huge and in fact
    you may not notice it at all as a real user sitting at the
    keyboard/screen. Intel says that the difference is about 15% if the
    clock speed and FSB speed are the same (which may or may not be the
    case). Power consumption differences are insignificant.

    The differences between Core 2 Duo and previous products in the Intel
    desktop product line are huge, but the difference in the mobile products
    are much, much smaller because Core 2 Duo is based on the "Core" chips
    and is only slightly different. However, there were no "Core" [1] chips
    in the desktop product line, "Core" (which in turn was based on the
    Pentium M, also originally a "mobile only" product line) was introduced
    as a mobile [only] product until the Core 2 line.

    There is also no significant difference in power consumption. But the
    real difference may be that for the two particular chips that you cited,
    the clock and fsb speeds may not be the same.

    [In terms of boot time on a laptop, going from a 5400 to a 7200 rpm disk
    drive might make a lot more difference]

    Barry Watzman, Apr 23, 2007