    and are set differently

    And I still can't get the mouse to be recognized. Am I missing
    something? Hopefully a simple fix. Thanks.

    Meye P. Burns, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Meye P. Burns

    Robert Akins Guest

    It appears you have the common problem of getting a VA-503+ motherboard
    without the original serial cables/brackets. This motherboard uses the less
    common of 2 different header pinouts for the serial ports, and most serial
    port cables will not work correctly. You can look on the internet for one
    of the companies that sells this serial cable set, or you can check with the
    place where you got the motherboard (or your friends, neighbors, local
    computer shops, etc) to see if they have any extra serial port cables they
    would let you try until you find one that works.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Sep 25, 2003

  3. On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 04:40:45 GMT, "Robert Akins"

    Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that. Or contact FIC and see if
    I can get one of the original cables. I wonder if it the same for the
    printer cable?

    Meye P. Burns, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Meye P. Burns

    Roger Hunt Guest

    The 503+ serial cable pinout is :
    1 3 5 7 9
    2 4 6 8

    The more common ones are :
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9

    I have pulled them to bits myself and sorted things - it is a bit fiddly
    but can be done. The positions on the plugs and sockets are normally
    marked (microscopic figures).
    It's never been an issue with the 503+. Any old parallel printer cable
    should do.

    Roger Hunt, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Tha would explain why it isn't working. Thanks for the help.

    Meye P. Burns, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Meye P. Burns

    dirtyangus Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:19:42 +0100, Roger Hunt

    You can thank Intel for that one. There are actually 2 standards.
    The original got changed by Intel around the 386 to 486 transition.
    Many places (B&M and mail order) sell either/both and don't have
    a clue what they are selling.

    dirtyangus, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Meye P. Burns

    Robert Akins Guest

    Robert Akins, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Meye P. Burns

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Aah ... I have a 386 system here which might be more useful than I
    thought.
    I guess Intel had a good reason for changing the pinout from the IBM
    standard - perhaps it made automated assembly easier.
    I must pay a visit to PCWorld and wind 'em up a bit. :)

    Roger Hunt, Oct 3, 2003
  9. Meye P. Burns

    Job60 Guest

    Hey Roger , those pimply faced teens they hire wont have evan heard of a 386 !
    NoJOB@aol.

    Job60, Oct 6, 2003
  10. Meye P. Burns

    Roger Hunt Guest