You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by stuie_norris, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. stuie_norris

    stuie_norris Guest

    Hi Group,

    Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a
    mistake_

    I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of
    one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended
    Journaled for both paritions.

    Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I
    get the message

    "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up
    from this volume."

    There is a red explaination mark on the drive.

    I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk
    util program and I still have the same problem.

    Any ideas what is wrong or is it a trip to the Mac hospital for my new
    MacBook?

    Thanks

    Stuart.

    stuie_norris, Apr 5, 2007

  2. stuie_norris

    Deltic Guest

    It might be worth looking at the following Apple article:

    This article seems to only apply to external disks but it still is worth
    a look.

    Deltic, Apr 5, 2007

  3. stuie_norris

    filipp Guest

    Since this is an Intel-mac, check that you have selected GUID as the
    partition map. To do this,
    open Disk Utility from the DVD, select the drive > Partition >
    Options... > GUID Partition Table and then run the partitioning.

    filipp, Apr 5, 2007
  4. stuie_norris

    tacit Guest

    Why two partitions?
    When you partitioned, you told Disk Utility to use an old-style
    partition table, not the new-style GUID partition table. If you
    partition a startup disk on an Intel Mac, you MUST partition it using
    the GUID partition table.

    tacit, Apr 6, 2007